Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50BMG tune problem.

Gold Award 
    Responded to that thread...

I think the before and after numbers will be useless since they also installed the Stainless Works exhaust but it'll still be interesting to see what they get out of that combo. Those are huge cams for a small blower.

Did you also catch this thread:
    http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...ger-41735.html
    ...pretty good info, makes me think too hard so I keep re-reading it...lol.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    Redfire 2003 Cobra
    11.30 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Gold Award 
    Discussions like those get me closer and closer to going to a ~10 PSI single turbo everyday.

But as vector said, just replace the 2-3 PSI you lose from the cams/valves/heads etc.

It still doesn't explain what seems to be the outliers like beefcake and JDM picking up 40-60 rwhp with cams and not replacing the boost. But then guys like postban didn't pickup shit with a high end setup.

Gold Award 
    So do you guys think the cams were worth it?

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG
    It still doesn't explain what seems to be the outliers like beefcake and JDM picking up 40-60 rwhp with cams and not replacing the boost. But then guys like postban didn't pickup shit with a high end setup.
    Also look at wiz's and 78's car. Both were nuts on the cams. I gues it all comes down to tuning. But then again, postbans car made 666 RWHP with the twinscrew and cams. So I don't know why he's complaining.

Gold Award 
    It is the tuning, the more cam cars that are coming out and posting #'s the more it seems to be the case...I think there is more to the story with how many new cam cars just keep popping up on MF and SVTP.

I know 78 is on crower 3's, what brand cams did Wiz use?

I'm obviously very interested in seeing what James does with this way over durationed cam car, plus it has the same exhaust as I do (no cats?).

I have zero regrets with my cams, or with my Evans package. I think they're worth the money cause I like to keep things safe and lower my operating temps. My #1 priority with my car is keeping the cylinder temps down to avoid piston to wall scouring (should have ported the heads and done valves with the cams eh? :oops: ). The same power with less boost is just a bonus to me.

Postban just has a shitty or waaay safe tune if I took a guess. His 666rwhp came on I believe 100 octane with overbore pistons, built shortblock, heads/valves/cams with a 20 PSI whipple pulley combo. I've seen 20 PSI whipples do 650rwhp on 100 octane, bolt-ons and a stock longblock.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG
    Discussions like those get me closer and closer to going to a ~10 PSI single turbo everyday.

But as vector said, just replace the 2-3 PSI you lose from the cams/valves/heads etc.

I agree with replacing the boost. Thing is, with a Eaton that's easier said than done. Thing with JDM and MD is they are shops so they need to look good. Now, I'm not acusing them of false numbers but then again they are shaddy with the info about the setups so it makes me more curious about them compared to someone like James(50) or even postban that are more open about their combos and what they are doing to get (or not get) the results they have. Like I said, not acusing them of anything, just saying I take it with a grain of salt and move on to the cars I do see or the members that are more open about their combo.

The way I see it, in a N/A combo you have aptmospheric pressure (14.7psi at sea level) pushing air into the motor. Even when you cam/head a N/A motor you still have that 14.7psi there. With a boosted motor you have lets say 15psi pre-motor-work. Then you do engine work and you end up with 12psi. That's not fair IMO because the pressure pushing air into the motor is reduced. Like I said though, the Eaton is already maxed at this point so it's not that easy to get that 3psi back, especially in the upper Rs so the gains look shitty. I'd like to see my heads and cams on Gene's car, he has a setup that I think would benifit from it a hell of a lot more than James and I. Actually, it'd be easier to put Gene's blower on my car ;)...lol.

Gene, I have mixed feelings about the cams. I ended up spending about the same amount of money on the heads and cam that I could have spent on a twinscrew. You proved to me that the KB works better than my setup (duh..lol). But, the car did lay down 510/495SAE with 19*/11.5AFR on 91 octane. I haven't seen another ported blower (stageII) 2.8upper only car do that with the same tuneup. I've been working out some bugs with my tune (my AFR is kinda goofy, I hit commanded 11.43 where the maf count point is but outside of that it's leaner, working on getting it even so I can lean on it a little more). I want to do a dyno run with my combo running 93 with the 23*s of timing in the car along with the AFR a little leaner around 11.8-12.0 steady. Basically what I'm saying is there's power left on the table, how much I dunno. You and I talked about this already about the fact that I'd wait to do cams/headwork until you needed to rebuild the shortblock. These motors are just too expensive to tear apart. It cost me $450 just to bolt my heads back on the motor. My original plan was to not kill the shortblock though so we'll see how that goes.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    Redfire 2003 Cobra

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamn03
    These motors are just too expensive to tear apart. It cost me $450 just to bolt my heads back on the motor. My original plan was to not kill the shortblock though so we'll see how that goes.
    +1.

The 1 reason I went ahead and did the cams is cause I can also use them on a 5.4...which is what I will be doing 1 way or another in the future. Which is also the reason I didn't drop cash into the heads and valves on my stock engine. I will be doing the cam swap work on my own next time; after watching shaggy do his own cam swap it ain't that bad. If my motor goes there would be no excuse not to step up to a aluminum 5.4 block and the new GT heads...and I'd probably drop the coin to have Al P or someone similar do the heads right like VT did with Akuma's.

BTW, James at RWTD got over 60rwhp and over 40 rwtq on that comp cam car with no power loss down low...the only changes being a swap to SW over the BBK's and the cams. Wonder what octane it was on?

Well James it looks like you need to get the other James to tune your car.

Hey James, did you see this thread:
    http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...mbo-56917.html

Somewhat similar combo, just thought you might find it interesting, I know I do.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    Redfire 2003 Cobra