Thread: Roadcoarse Event at P.I.R

Drag Racing Rules
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSonicSnake View Post
    so let me get this straight, you street race, but yet you think drag racing is a stupid pointless sport? hmmm...i fail to understand the logic.
    +1.........

Gold Award 
    Do they ever run a session with a pace car were classics like mine can run at a paced speed. I know some other tracks around the country do this...I believe NASA did it once with street version Cobra's at PIR...Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by HIKER View Post
    Do they ever run a session with a pace car were classics like mine can run at a paced speed. I know some other tracks around the country do this...I believe NASA did it once with street version Cobra's at PIR...Thanks..
    Yes, in fact there are some non-performance V6 cars running in the HPDE 1/2 classes in April, with free instructor-ride-in training for NASA members. This is still fairly fast but controlled. It's not open-track racing.

The HPDE classes are for beginners who just want to get out on a race track and have some fun. It's not serious competition. Of course I have yet to do this myself, having just started getting involved. I'm going to the March 25 event at PIR even though I won't be driving (not for beginners), but will meet some people and say hello. It's open-parking near the pits for NASA members. So, yeah, very cool.

Get signed up for April...which is the event for first-timers. Join NASA for $40 and on-track instruction is free. Also NASA membership gets you into all events for free as a spectator too.
    C0braFan

Hiker, I know the type of session that you are talking about. I have not seen that done in a while. I did one several years ago. It was fun and wetted my appetite for more.
    NASA's HPDE (which stands for High Performance Driver Education) program is just what it says. You will learn to drive at high speeds on a race track.
    HPDE1 is for the beginer. They have classroom time that covers everything from rules and procedures to driving techniques, before you ever go on the track.
    There is no pace car, but sometimes they do have speed limits. There is no passing in the corners.
    It is pretty safe because all the cars have a ride along instructor to keep things controlled.
    If your car is as nice as it looks, I'm not sure I would take it on the track, just because there is a lot of rubber debris left from the race cars ("tire turds") that can scuff the paint or leave small dents.

CObraFan, I'm sure they want new members, because the events don't always sell out, and it seems to be fairly tough to make ends meet. This year there was some sort of merger between the two different groups, NASA which is a national group, and Club Racing AZ, a local group. I think there wasn't enough participation to support both groups, so now club racing az runs the arizona region NASA events. If I rember correctly, clubracing lost $23,000 last year.
    Club Racing AZ does not seem to be as participant friendly as NASA was. Sometimes the leaders seem to be a bit short.Don't let this discourage you. Once you get to the event it will be worth the hassle. The school and instructors are top notch.
    One thing with Club Racing AZ the website doesn't seem to be updated as often as NASA's was, so you kinda have to check back often. Sign up for DE1 as soon as you can because it almost always sells out quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    If your car is as nice as it looks, I'm not sure I would take it on the track, just because there is a lot of rubber debris left from the race cars ("tire turds") that can scuff the paint or leave small dents.
    Thanks for the advice, Craft. I will take the 06 out to learn the ropes, but not for the long term. I'm building a retro racer out of my 68 coupe, which is a stock 302-4V like the Dean Gregson T/A car featured here (now owned by Nick De Vitis).

It will be in the same vein as this car, Jerry Titus' T/A racer, and Shelby's Terlingua coupes, with the full race treatment, but street legal. Another reason why I'm inspired by Dean Gregson's 68... Donald Farr told me that Ford's "mechanical prototype" Boss 302 was actually a red 68 coupe with stock 302-4V engine!! It was fitted with Cleve heads to simulate the upcoming Boss 302 engine's power output while the Boss 302 engine was in development. How much fun would it be to recreate the Boss mechanical prototype?! It brings attention to the oft-ignored coupes, while the 68 Fastback (i.e. Bullitt) gets all the attention.
    C0braFan

I am already signed up to run i will be out there probly sat i am running a black 03 cobra are any of you in DE yet
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-01-07 at 02:25 AM.

Nightmare, I am not going to run at this event. I have a 74 Bronco that I have got to paint before the weather gets too hot. This weekend will probably be my last chance for a while.
    I think we may have met. I have a black 07 mustang GT that I run in HPDE 2.
    Hopefully I can do the June event....
    Last edited by Craft; 05-02-07 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I am already signed up to run i will be out there probly sat i am running a black 03 cobra are any of you in DE yet
    I know this is an older post but I'm glad to see that some of you are getting into the NASA events, I've been working them for 3 years now at Firebird, PIR, and occasionally Cali Speedway in Fontana. Nightmare, I've see you out there this year, the kid with the other black cobra is a good friend of mine as well.

Too bad some of you didn't get interested a little sooner, since CRA took over the Arizona region of NASA things have changed completely. I prefer the way the old group ran the sessions and weekends better but CRA has brought a few new interesting things to the table as well.

Now that I'm back in Arizona after the summer I'll probably be showing up more often either working the track or doing some of my racing photography. I'm the official photographer for the Arizona Corvette Racers so if I'm not working I'm doing that. If anyone has been around a while, I'm one of the "white shirt" workers that most of the drivers praise so much. That group is my racing group up here (I'm the VP) and we have been working those events for several years now. There was a small falling out with my club and CRA but I'm working on getting us back at the track again. If you've been around a while you've probably seen me on a corner, working grid, or working race control (but you wouldn't see me doing that lol).

So anyway, I hope to see a few people at the track (and eventually on it once I replace my transmission and fix a few other problems).
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

hey i knew you would find these forums sooner or later i guess it was later any way i may not work for the guys with CRA cuz i still have a grip of track bucks that i need to use i worked the track befor your club was there remember i worked with warren ...but any way i fixed my car and i will be back at the track but this time with more POWER and a stiffer car

Quote Originally Posted by 4doorfoxy View Post
    I know this is an older post but I'm glad to see that some of you are getting into the NASA events, I've been working them for 3 years now at Firebird, PIR, and occasionally Cali Speedway in Fontana. Nightmare, I've see you out there this year, the kid with the other black cobra is a good friend of mine as well.

Too bad some of you didn't get interested a little sooner, since CRA took over the Arizona region of NASA things have changed completely. I prefer the way the old group ran the sessions and weekends better but CRA has brought a few new interesting things to the table as well.

Now that I'm back in Arizona after the summer I'll probably be showing up more often either working the track or doing some of my racing photography. I'm the official photographer for the Arizona Corvette Racers so if I'm not working I'm doing that. If anyone has been around a while, I'm one of the "white shirt" workers that most of the drivers praise so much. That group is my racing group up here (I'm the VP) and we have been working those events for several years now. There was a small falling out with my club and CRA but I'm working on getting us back at the track again. If you've been around a while you've probably seen me on a corner, working grid, or working race control (but you wouldn't see me doing that lol).

So anyway, I hope to see a few people at the track (and eventually on it once I replace my transmission and fix a few other problems).
    sold my 03 fox coupe next