Thread: New Member in NY

New Member in NY

Howdy folks. I'm an old fan of mustangs, going back to the late 60s and 70ss. I've owned a bunch, and sold a bunch and haven't had one since maybe 1982, but the new ones have once again caught my attention.

I'm going to look at 2012 GT, and I have been impressed with the HP numbers.

I'm hoping maybe some of the veterans on this forum can fill me in on what to expect, performance wise at the drags. Can you get one of these down into the 12s without giving up a stock classification? I would like to be competitive in its stock class.

I bracket raced my last car, a 65 289 4sp. It ran 11:80s, but this time around I'd prefer to run in a stock class, and just dominate the heck out of it. :)

So anyway, if I buy this car today, I look forward to hanging around this forum a lot. And even if I don't buy it, eventually I will buy one, and still be around here a lot.

Have a great day and thanks for being here.

Jim

Welcome to the site Jim. We have a few 5.0 guys here and they all seem happy with the car.12s are no problem.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a deal for a 2012 GT Premium, 5.0 6 speed auto, in Red Candy Metallic. It's a nice looking car. I hope to pick it up Monday or Tuesday.

I didn't go shopping too much. I got it at a small local dealer so selection was rather limited, but I'd rather support a local long time family business.

What I REALLY wanted was a plain GT in black, but wth, add a little color to my life. :)

Next week the fun starts. I want a screamer to bring to Lebanon Valley Dragway this Spring.

Jim, welcome to High Performance Stangs!

Congratulations on the new GT, enjoy!

The auto guys seem to like the Circle D Torque Converters. That is a very strong tranny you have.

Thanks!

I was disappointed to see that it comes with 3.15:1 gear ratio. I am hoping that can be changed to the 3.73:1, though, I don't know crap about these cars yet. Maybe the autos like that high a ratio?

I can see I will be hunting for lots of info once I get started.

It was so easy in the old days. No computers, no sensors... :)

Quote Originally Posted by JimInNY View Post
    Thanks!

I was disappointed to see that it comes with 3.15:1 gear ratio. I am hoping that can be changed to the 3.73:1, though, I don't know crap about these cars yet. Maybe the autos like that high a ratio?

I can see I will be hunting for lots of info once I get started.

It was so easy in the old days. No computers, no sensors... :)
    Easy for sure back when real motors had pushrods!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott GT/CS View Post
    Easy for sure back when real motors had pushrods!
    I always built my motors with the cheapest pushrods money could buy. I wanted the weak link to be something easy to replace. Bend a pushrod? No problem. Bend a valve? yikes! :)

being thats its a 6 speed auto I would put the 4:10's in that will wake it up big time
    I have 3:73's in mine but then I'm super charged, with the boss intake you lose alittle torque and gain hp
    but its on the top end and you can twist it up to 7500 rpm I've done a few mods on some of the new 5.0's
    the biggest bang for the buck gears

Thanks Trucker.

I'm so far removed from the game that I don't know where to start, but gears make sense, I thought 3.73 was a little high, especially with 6 speeds, but that seemed to be the one I see everyone using. In my 65 I ran 4.56 with a 4 speed manual.

With the ability to spin at 7 grand, I would have thought I'd see a lot of 4.88 - 5.13s being discussed. But now, as it was then, those lower ratios are not very street friendly I guess. I think that in the end, for streetability, I will go with 3.73 and see if I can compete. If not, 4.10s and beyond! :)