Thread: gearing up a 4.0

gearing up a 4.0

I was rolling the idea around in my head to put new gears in my 4.0.

other than a CAI the engine is stock, I was thinking of dropping a set of 3.73's since im pretty sure 4.10's would be just total over kill for that small of an engine. i know its just a seat of the pants mod since i am not adding h/p and i am going to loose a couple mpg but i dont mind.. running premium fuel has numbed me to fuel prices anyway..

so what do you guys think? and do know of a good shop in the west side that can do this? i did the 95's in the garage with the car on stands.. and that was a PAIN IN THE A$$!

Auto 3.73 Manual 4.10
    Gears are probably the best bang for your buck, v6 or v8. I had my 4.10 gears installed at AZ differential. You will need a tuner or have some body set your speedo too your new gear ratio. I would also look into bearings and seals just in case your old ones look pitted or fall apart.
    http://wildwestmustangsaz.com/gallery/albums/userpics/EVIL SIG.jpg

thats where i was leaning. i figured i would replace the bearings and seals anyway since i already have over 80k miles on the car. better be safe than sorry.. the tuner was actually the first "mod" i ever bought for my car.. lol