Thread: shifting woes

shifting woes

So today I took my 2012 GT to the dealer. She wasn't feeling well. When I shift to second, sometimes the shifter will stop as though I missed the gear. I'm definitely not missing it. And when it goes in and I release the clutch, the car will hop and sometimes even bark the tires even at low revs. The dealer said it's fine and nothing's wrong, but I know better. Any advice to what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

I have a '12 Boss and have noticed a couple of thing about the shifter. First when you do the 1-2 shift look at the odo info screen and see if the skip shift is active, this happens on low speed shifts, on high speed the 1-4 does not activate. Next, the engine tends to hold rpm, or better not drop as quickly as previous 4.6 or push rod 5.0. I have experienced this my self. Try letting the shifter just slide over to 4th in stead of pulling straight back to 2nd. The MT-82 is a piece of work that in my estimation could be better, see blogs all over the place. One of the main shifter issues is the shift unit, that is why there are replacement options (see, MGW, Hurst, Steeda and others). The Boss is supposed to have a better and tighter shifter, still is not great. I have invested in a Steeda Shifter Bracket, which takes the wobble out of the shift unit and keeps the shift linkage/rod alligned better (Fords bracket is a real piece of shit), people who have installed them say they really make a difference (Steeda is $80 from Stage3). Ultimatly I will probably invest in a better shifter, most likely the MGW. Since I have yet to track my car since I have not completed breakin miles, and not yet installed the bracket (waiting for tech day to use a lift), I am watching my shifts. Lastly if your tranny aint hangin out of the car, service techs will say its OK. I hope this helps.

RACER00

Thanks Rick! You're completely right, it was the 1->4 shift fuel econ on the odo that was locking my 2nd gear. That is annoying. Any way to override it?This still doesn't quite explain the hop after shifting. I don't drive this car a lot, but I'm sure it hasn't always done this. I've been driving it daily for the past week and it just started acting up a few days ago. I get her out of the garage occasionally and put a couple hundred miles on her before shining her back up and closing the garage door again.Thanks again for the help.

I put the Hurst shifter in mine and it shifts and looks so much better, but does not get rid of skip shift

2012 BOSS 302 #0042
    1995 Mustang GTS
    1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
    1977 Granada
    1973 V8 Pinto under construction
    2006 Mustang GT Saleen supercharger11.66@115.84 SOLD
    1996 Mustang COBRA Vortech Supercharger SOLD
    1983 Mustang GT SOLD
    1970 Mustang Mach1 351 Cleveland SOLD
    1965 Mustang 11.90 1/4 miles SOLD
    1970 Mustang Boss 302 Grabber Green w/white interior TOTALED by front end loader
    1968 GT 500 KR Dual Quad/Automatic/A/C SOLD
    1965 Sunbeam Tiger

11.66@115.84

2012 Boss302 #42
    851/2 SVO

Platinum Award 
    If you get the FRP tune it eliminates the skip shift... It was the first thing I did to my 2011 and love it, that skip shift sucks!!
    "The choices we make, dictates the lives we lead"

The Boss guys are all over this shifter issue since many race their cars. You can turn off the skip shift (they claim) by turning off the traction control. Also you can disable the skip shift solenoid by unpluging it (they say it causes no lites or other notices, but the 1-4 shift message still comes on. It is located on the right side of the transmission about 6 inches ahead of the shifter input shaft (a logical place to put it). It can also be turned off with some custom tunes or on the Boss by activation of the Track Key. Also if you have a sticky clutch return at higher speeds they have a fix for that. There is also discussion on about any tranny issue you can think of. There is a law suit in SoCal on faulty MT-82's. I have not had an issue with the skip shift on my car because it only did it about the 2nd time I drove the car, and now no matter how fast I drive (even with attempts to make it happen) I does not activate and the message does not come on now(is this car learning my driving style, now that would be brilliant).

RACER00

I'm still having issues with excessive vehicle hop during shifts. Perhaps my clutch can't handle my spirited driving?