Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel Dilemma

Hybrid View

Flywheel Dilemma

So the clutch in my '04 Mach 1 started slipping and finally got around to swapping it out last week. Did my homework and all the necessary parts ordered and in hand before I started the install including:

Flywheel
    Exedy Stage 2 Clutch
    Timken TOB
    FRPP Pilot Bearing
    Pivot Ball
    MM Cable, Quadrant, FW Adj

Only thing I didnt get my hands on was a new fork as it looked like Ford had distribution issues with it and every place I looked and/or called was out of stock but I figured I'd risk it and reuse the one in there.

I'm in the military so I use the Hobby Shop on base equipped with lifts, air tools, and almost everything else I could need. Although being the first time I would ever attempt a clutch swap or anything this involved for that matter, I felt like it was pretty straight forward and had done my homework. Was counting on the starter bolts and the top 2 bolts of the bellhousing being the biggest hassle.

So cutting to the chase, I get the tranny out and am on my way to getting all the new stuff in. I pull the old pilot bearing and put the new one in, then get ready to bolt the flywheel up. That is where things took a turn...

I know for a fact that all 5spd Machs had an 8 bolt crank requiring an 8 bolt flywheel, which is what I ordered. However, the old flywheel on the car was a 6 bolt. Confused me for a bit, but what I am thinking is, the previous owner for whatever reason (maybe blew up the original motor) swapped it with a motor for an Automatic Mach which had a 6 bolt crank.

My car was originally built as a 5spd from the factory, I know this as I have the original window sticker, so I know it wasnt originally an Auto Mach that someone swapped a TR3650 into.

My questions are: (1) Will any GT flywheel work?? And if so, what are the chances that the clutch I have (Exedy Stage 2) will fit a GT flywheel?

(2) Does anyone in southwest AZ have a new flywheel they would be willing to sell? I'm in Yuma, and am willing to drive reasonable distance to pick it up. I've already called every local place (even dealership) no one has one in stock.

The car is my DD so I am trying to get things patched up ASAP...thanks in advance for any replies!

That is strange. Does sound like a swap in from an auto car...

As far as finding a flywheel quickly your best would be either Stage 3 or AMP in Phoenix or even Last Call Racing in San Diego.

I miss having access to the hobby shop. That's a badass perk that I didn't fully appreciate at the time.

Good luck.
    2012 GT500 543/533 11.7@120
    1995 5.0 minute or two per lap

Thanks, I'll look those places up and see if I have any luck. Hoping to get something either picked up or over-nighted delivery Monday so I can wrap this up Tue/Wed.

Hobby shop is a great resource, glad I have it to utilize. Attempting this in my garage on jack stands with hand tools would not be fun...nor possible me thinks without many trips to the parts store for various tools and extensions. Shoot, just for the top starter bolt I used about 4 extensions of varying lengths and 2 universals!

To add more mystery, I ran the part number for the old flywheel that came out of the car...Perfection 50-748, which from my research is for Ford F-150/250 applications.

WTF was the previous owner thinking...probably blew the original motor, got a salvaged auto Mach motor, through it in and Frankensteined it together the cheapest and fastest way he could...then traded it in.

Not gonna lie, a little ticked at it, but so far its been an adventure and experience I will not soon forget. Dont plan on getting rid of the car, its paid off and this will only add to the memories.

A little bummed about the cast crank vice the stock manual forged crank, but no plans for crazy HP numbers down the road, so it shouldnt be that big of an issue.

Thanks again and I'll post up how everything turns out.

Anyone know for sure though that a stock GT flywheel will fit?

Is the new clutch disc and pressure plate the same size as the one you pulled. Do you have a 32 valve motor in the car? I believe the auto Machs have 8 bolts. Is there a serial number on the bottom of the block. You should be able to determine what it is form.

On the back of the engine after I pull off the flywheel and plate behind it, there are 3 different numbers...I took pictures of each.

I also see at least 2 of these tags on the engine:

I'm pretty sure its a 32V engine (although admittedly no expert), it has the 32V valve covers...not sure if those could be swapped onto a regular GT engine.

I did some research over at Mach1Registry and the info I found there said Auto Mach's have the 6 bolt crank, whereas the 5spd's had the 8 bolt, supposedly to handle harder shifts from the manual tranny. A couple of guys have done swaps from Auto to 5spd there...it seems as though a regular 2004 GT flywheel will work. My local dealership was of no help, I got a reference from someone over at Mach1Reg to call Tousley Ford, hopefully they can assist and maybe overnight me a flywheel.

Really just want this ordeal to be over. I bought the clutch from AM, but I called and talked to them, and they were of no real assistance either. Their site lists the exact clutch I bought as compatible with Late 2001-2004 GT, Mach 1's, and 99-04 Cobras. They sell an Exedy Flywheel on AM for 6 bolt GT, just dont want to shell out $300 plus more likely for overnight...only as a last resort I guess.

New clutch does not line up with the old flywheel at all (I can line the dowels up, but the PP holes do not), but I think that has to do with it being a truck flywheel and I assume the clutch is also for an F-150/250 as well.

Thx for the response

I thought the stick machs also had a forged crank.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

I'm fairly certain the 5spd's had forged crank with 8 bolt flywheel. Auto Mach's had regular crank with 6 bolt flexplate. At Mach1Reg, the few guys I read that did the Auto to 5spd swap had to use a GT flywheel because of the 6 bolt crank.

I know for certain that my car was an original 5spd (have the window sticker). What I think happened is previous owner blew the original engine and snagged up a salvaged engine from an Auto Mach and threw it in there...then traded it in which is when I bought it.

He of course did not tell the dealership this, so it was a surprise to me when I got in there and see a 6 bolt crank staring at me.

Picked up an Exedy flywheel (6-bolt) from AM this morning...overnight shipping was fairly steep though. Was necessary, I'm going out of town end of the week and get have my car sitting in pieces at the hobby shop for too long.

The 6 bolt Exedy Flywheel mounted perfectly! Got the flywheel mounted, torqued down and clutch disc/pressure plate mounted and torqued down too. Cleaned up clutch fork (had to use my old one since replacement forks have been on back order with Ford for months. Put on new pivot ball and new Timken TOB.

Trans will hopefully go back in tomorrow, just need to enlist the help of some friends muscling it in there, then should be rocking and rolling!

FIngers crossed everything turns out ok

Got everything re-installed. After bolting up the h-pipe last and taking for a test drive I noticed it had a bad exhaust leak on driver's side where h bolts to headers. Tried and tried to get it tightened up...gave up and took it to an exhaust shop. She's exhaust leak free now and runs smoothly.

50 miles into clutch break in, chattered a little at first, but that has all but gone now. Seems to be running smooth, a lot smoother that before!