Thread: 2012 gt500

2012 gt500

I'm new to this thread and wanted to get some opinions on aftermarket exhaust for a 2012GT500 and a tune.

I had a 2009 GT500 and installed Borla S-types (with x-pipe). The sound was great, but the drone was unbelievably loud at about 68-72mph. Has me nervous about installing Borla again...more because of the price.

I like the sound of the new exhaust on the 2012, but want something a little louder. I'm sure this video of the SLP Loudmouth has gotten lots of hits:

I called SLP, and they said the drone is there but it can be lessened with Dynamat in the trunk. Anyone have experience with SLP Loudmouth on a 2012 Shelby? too loud?

Anyone have any experience with Borla Atak on 2012 GT500? I was only going to get axleback this time. is it worth the $780+?

Thanks in advance.

I had Magnaflow muffler deletes, basically same setup as the SLP's and they were ridiculously loud on my 2010. I'm on my third set of mufflers and they are the Borla Stingers. By far the best sounding muffler I have had on the car. With 2012 Borla has a "New" S-Type mufflers you might want to check out. Mine gave the car a REAL deep tone. The Borla Atak's will be louder than the S-Type and have a slightly higher pitch. I just had the car cammed so it is a really deep sound now. Wouldn't change it for any other mufflers. I also have Kooks long tubes and high flow cat x-pipe.

And regarding a tune, I would suggest getting it actually dyno tuned somewhere where they can monitor all the vehicles parameters as opposed to a mail in tune. I took the car up to Shelby in Vegas and will NOT take it anywhere else. But that is my opinion on the mufflers and tuning.

2010 GT500 - Modded out the Wazoo. Tuned by Shelby American Motorsports. Las Vegas, NV.
    2003 Ford Lightning- Airaid intake, Bassani exhaust, Lakewood torsion bar, 2" drop shackels and a few more mods.

Thank you very much for the reply! Funny you mention Vegas...I'm headed up there in the beginning of May to have Gil tune it up for me :) Pretty excited about that. Since we're on the topic, they told me to get the SCT3015 tuner. I see there are a few models for that...or appears to be. Is there a specific one I need to get? I looked on Summit Racing and see a few models...

Regarding the exhaust, I appreciate the feedback. I will take a look and see what Borla has for the new S-type. The Magnaflow deletes were pretty obnoxious, eh?!? When I called Shelby MotorSports, i asked them and they said the same thing... obnoxious...

Gil is a great guy and make sure to get to know Frankie as well. Great guy! They will provide you with the tuner when you get the car tuned and will more than likely be the SCT3 tuner. That's what I got. When your up there you should ask to hear some of the Super Snakes with the Borla's on them. That's all they use. If you have never been there before, you are definitely in for a treat!

2010 GT500 - Modded out the Wazoo. Tuned by Shelby American Motorsports. Las Vegas, NV.
    2003 Ford Lightning- Airaid intake, Bassani exhaust, Lakewood torsion bar, 2" drop shackels and a few more mods.

So, I had my 2009 worked on there...(Borla S-type install and a performance shifter installed too)
    Frankie is awesome. All those guys are awesome actually.... Love going there!

Frankie told me I needed to bring the tuner with me as they don't provide 'em anymore....or actually, he said it easier for me to bring it with me....so, I was cool with that. I will get them to fire up a SS so i can hear it on the new model. I did notice those canisters are bigger than the old ones, so maybe that gets rid of the drone. Does yours have drone?

Yea they are all great up there. Just got my car back from it being up there for three weeks getting cammed. I don't hear any drone but the car is just so loud now I just hear exhaust lol. But cruising around I haven't noticed any annoying drone so far.

I just put the FRPP SVTLA axle back on mine. It's really not much louder than the stock setup inside the car. Sounds different, but not really louder.

After about 8 different exhaust combos on my 2011 5.0 I came to the conclusion that Ford did too good of a job with the sound deadening on these cars. Any time I had something loud enough to hear inside the car it was haneously loud outside of the car. My favorite was the Pypes mid-muffler system (which is now on Billybosses Boss).

I'll likely just leave the SVTLAs on there but if I try anything else I'll go for the mid-muffler system.

I've had great results from mail order tunes from reputable tuners. I always run the the car on a dyno as soon as I install the tune to check the AFR and in general they have been spot on. The factory wideband through an Aeroforce gauge is a good way to keep an eye on things, too on the GT500.
    Last edited by Wharf Rat; 04-13-13 at 11:53 PM.
    2012 GT500 543/533 11.7@120
    1995 5.0 minute or two per lap