Thread: Project GT500 in 2001 GT

Project GT500 in 2001 GT

Well several years ago I got this itch about wanting to drop a Shelby GT500 engine into my 01 GT and well this yr I finally pulled the trigger. Now to catch everyone up, I have a 01 GT that I swapped a brand new 99 engine and trans in. I bought the engine package from MPS who picked up a couple of these packages from some race team. The set up came complete and confirmed with less than 200 miles on it. I had planned on building this engine seeing as how it was the sought after Teksid block but did not mainly due to not wanting to yank the engine out. It was basically a summer day car and I put only 4,000 miles total on the block. I decided to get after it this year and was so turned off by MMR that I made the move a on GT500 complete engine and tranny from a wreck with 11k on it.

This has been one tough swap and I still have more work to do. I am currently gathering all my pieces for the fuel system and decided to go with a triple fuel hat and 3 AEM 50-1200 pumps for E85. There are so many "gotchas" with this swap that I just did not have with the cobra engine swap. Here are a few photos.

A320PYLT
    Attached Images Attached Images        

That's one cool machine, nice find. A good friend of mine got a GT500 project and it's current at the shop for the mounting of the new set of tires from 4Wheelonline plus the alignment. It's really fun toy rig.