Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 aviator engine in a mustang

03 aviator engine in a mustang

Ive been doing some reasearch, and it seems that an aviator engine would be a good, cost efficient swap into my mustang. ive already talked to two guys that have done it and they are dynoing a tad over 300hp with just exhaust. does anyone know if this would be a good swap, and howm any minor things are needed to make this work.

FWIW, the 03 aviator engine is a 32v 4.6L with the same cams as a mach 1 and has a variable runner intake similar to the fr500 intake. The secondary runners of the Aviator intake are about 9" long, so it sounds like it will make for a very decent performance intake. any input?

I believe that is what a couple guys are doing at the shop. It is a tight fit and you will need a different hood for the intake manifold to fit but it can be done yes.
    2012 Race Red GT w/ a 5 Liter and a 6 speed
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T traded in.
    '03 DBS Cobra .... Traded in, THANK GOD
    '01 Ford Lightning.... Sold, sorely missed

Gold Award 
    sounds like a fun project....

Tuned By PSR TUNING
    11.07 @ 127.93
    My Autolog Profile

friend of mine back in ny did it. He did it in his garage it was a pretty straight foward swap. You will need a new hood he went with an ho fiberglass 2.5 cowl and it just fit. He made 290 on a mustang dyno with just bbk lts catted midpipe and catback

www.greenleafauto.com

Theres an aviator engine assembly for sale for 2600 with 21,000 miles on it right now. Good deal. They have warranty's too on there stuff. Also have a warehouse here in phx.

wow that a damn good deal. see this might be better than putting a S/C on my car because lets say I buy a used procharger for lets say $3,500, thats already more expensive than the engine w/ warranty, that extra $900 I could use to mod the aviator engine and be somewhat close to the same power lever as the blower (givin I run like 8lbs of boost) plus my motor has a leaking headgasket and has 100k miles on it, my motor isnt going to like forced induction at that point (or at any point). so looks like I might be going 4 valve pretty soon

Oh and I want to get a cowl hood anyways so thats no problem, I can always run with no hood in the meantime, just to give people the intimidator

So to sum things up, I get either:

S/c for my hurt motor for $3,500 + not counting install and fixing head gasket

-or-

21k mile 4v aviator engine for $2600 w/ warranty that'll give me 290 rwhp give or take and then mod it with basic bolt ons and get close to blown 2v numbers.
    Last edited by OH3MGSVT; 09-23-07 at 12:40 AM.

Platinum Award 
    labor? :)
    2005 v6 redfire mustang. yup its slow.
    12.03 @ 118.5 best et
    12.11 @ 122.0 best mph

you also have to swap wiring harnesses and ecu's. That costs a lot as well Alex. Just know what you are getting into fully before taking that leap.
    2012 Race Red GT w/ a 5 Liter and a 6 speed
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T traded in.
    '03 DBS Cobra .... Traded in, THANK GOD
    '01 Ford Lightning.... Sold, sorely missed

Quote Originally Posted by fazm View Post
    labor? :)
    ive got a couple of buds that will help with install, the cost is 1 case of beer per hour lmao

Well from what Ive read most people that have done the swap are dynoing on/around 300 rwhp. Just wonder if it will be worth the hassle or too much to get into, I dont want this thing to be an ongoing thing where I'll need to make many trips to autozone or junkyard because Im missing a certain part. but if its as easy as some people are saying I would want to go for it