Thread: Cam thread, a must read.

Hybrid View

Gold Award 

Cam thread, a must read.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...ams-45339.html
    Definitely helped me. Good job Parker!

Re: Cam thread, a must read.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/crower-cams-45339.html
    Definitely helped me. Good job Parker!
    Gene, when I get my cobra here in a month or so, Im going to have VT do a 324cid aluminum shortblock for me. I already decided to go with the comp cams that James w/ RWTD is using on his car.

You going to go with cams?
    Future 2008 Shelby GT 500 owner

2005 Mustang GT-318rwhp
    JLT Intake, Pullies, axleback, SCT w/ bamachips 93 octane race tune.--Gone

2005 Chevy Tahoe-5.3L 295hp

Gold Award 
    Once the engine goes, hell yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    Once the engine goes

Time to crank up the boost... :)
    Future 2008 Shelby GT 500 owner

2005 Mustang GT-318rwhp
    JLT Intake, Pullies, axleback, SCT w/ bamachips 93 octane race tune.--Gone

2005 Chevy Tahoe-5.3L 295hp

What is getting me is that what "The God of All Internal Combustion Engines" is saying and what the engineers at Comp Cams are telling me is two different things. It's cool, though. I'm just too uneducated when it comes to this mod motor shit. I'm getting it figured out, though!! :P

PARKER

Gold Award 
    Disclaimer: I run crower cams...

Hmm, so crower ****ed up a custom grind for the fastest 281 engine on the planet. Now everyone with crower shelf grinds are running around like idiots (or doubting their purchase at a minimum)... because 1000 hp engines where shit needs to be A+ perfect was -minuetly- off and it turned into "a pile of shit" according to JM. Props to Sambandit and others for calling this shit on a screenname who, quite frankly, is a dickhead (did you catch the Randy Gaywood comment?)

I also find it funny how JM plugs SHM when he is sponsored by them :roll: ...glad Derek (Lethal PSI) called him on that one. I've read all JM's posts 3 times now with crowers and comps cam stats on seperate screens; pretty funny shit and I invite you to do the same. 10 bucks says he's on the comp payroll as well.

I've still only heard about 1 person on either of the big boards having a problem with a shelf grind crower cam and it's the guy who complains every chance he gets about his high IAT2 idling temps.

I also find it ironic when Dave King says that the most duration a modular cam should have is 230 (and this is on a 1000+ hp engine), when the comp stage 3 shelf grind duration is 240. So lets see, we have the fastest supercharged modular engine builder in history saying something completely different from the fastest modular turbo engine builder in history. Whats does this mean for your ass kicking, world class street car? Beats me... yet here we are plugging away comp cams cause it's the flavor of the month in aftermarket shit right now.

Good points...

I don't know if this is really a "buy CompCams" thing or not, but the overly opinionated "there are two ways of doing things; my way and the wrong way"state of the post could certainly steer it in that direction. I really can't put a lot of stock in the SHM thing, either. Being fairly new to the modular scene I have already learned that SHM can build some fast stuff, but it's always his stuff. Kind of like procharger. If you're sponsored, you're going fast, if you're not, then you're not only going slower but also treated as a second class citizen by their customer service dep't.

Some of JMs logic when it comes to these engines doesn't make sense to me, but as is in the case in a lot of engines, sometimes things are that way "just because" and there is really no definitive scientific explanation to it. If nothing else, the posts should give some weight to the very real fact that cams should not just be "installed" like a set of valve cover gaskets. There is a real and proper method of doing the job in a fashion that will give you the desired results. As far as flavor of the month, I don't know about that either. We were chatting about the Comp stuff over a year ago, October of 2004 as a matter of fact over at ModularFords.

As I mentioned previously, I'm new to the modular thing, just head work on them mainly. I will tell you though that on the pushrod side of things, Crower has not made any advances in cam technology (IR, 4-7 swap, etc.) in about a decade, and that is why I would consider another grind first.

As far as camshaft duration, that's another matter entirely. There are so many ways to look at duration with valve opening rates, cylinder blow-down, inertia-supercharging, and any other number of factors to just come out and put a blanket "a cam should have under xxx duration" is not neccessarily anything I'd put a lot of stake in, either. There would have to be many more application specific ties to that statement, and while it may be (and probably is) totally accurate for his given application, that is no reason to discount everything else.

PARKER