Thread: tire options

tire options

ok well i need some advice. my mach is a daily driver and im working on getting wheels and tires. i have the wheels now i need to find good tires. this will see rain so i was thinking the Eagle F1's. i hear they're pretty good in the dry conditions and great in the rain. but i would really like to have traction and be able to launch my car a little ( the stock tires are a joke) oh also i have 4.10's waitin to go in. so because of the gears i was thinking about going with the Nitto D/R's. should i suck it up and get those or sacrifice some dry weather traction for wet weather traction? any help would be great thanks. -Chris

Gold Award 
    I run the Nitto DR's on my Mach as well, but thats in AZ. I've heard some horror stories about guys driving with them in the rain though. I've never had any problems, but we also don't get alot of rain here.

I had the BFG KDW II's on my old setuo and loved them. Also managed to pull a high 1.9 60' on them at the track. I know alot of people have put them on their stangs.
    Arizona's Fastest Mach 1
    11.14 @ 120 w/ 1.48 60'

GO-FAST MODS
    Magnaflow O/R X-Pipe
    Magnaflow Catback
    Steeda CAI
    Torch Red JLt Intake Tube
    Steeda Tri-Ax
    Spec Stage 3 Clutch
    Built 31 Spline Rear w/ 4.10's
    Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms
    NX Wet Kit (100 Shot)
    SCT Chip
    Custom Tune by PSR

The Nitto 555 Rs are not that bad in the rain as long as you keep your traction on and drive sensibly. The tires don't really last too long but I'm sure you knew that already. If you are looking for a real street tire instead of a Drag Radial, then the Eagle F1 GS-D3 are an excellent choice with good wet weather manners. But you still would have to drive carefully with those gears!

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious781 View Post
    If you are looking for a real street tire instead of a Drag Radial, then the Eagle F1 GS-D3 are an excellent choice with good wet weather manners. But you still would have to drive carefully with those gears!
    I have the F1 GS-D3's and like them, especially for corners. They are pretty good for acceleration too but I have to pedal first gear. They handle rain pretty well too.

im basically stuck between the BFG's and Goodyears now. i guess it'll come down to which is cheaper
    2003 Azure Blue Mach 1:
    performance:
    SLP loudmouth 1 catback, Bassani catted X, JLT true ram air intake, Hurst short throw

Cosmetic:
    taillight tint

Coming soon:
    FRPP 4.10 gears, Black 18" FR500

I've been a long time user of Nitto 555R. I beat on them pretty hard too. They've outlasted any BFGs or other tires I've run in the past on any of my ponys.

I've managed to do alright high 1.9s on Proxes 4s, with the IRS.
    '03 Cobra - Mildly modded. A work in progress. 12.566 @ 110.755, 1.89 60' on street tires
    '93 Notch - Looks faster than it is.
    '72 F100 4x4 - Dormant, for now.
    Race '99 L - 12.40 @ 110

Platinum Award 
    i have good luck with my nitto 555 (not 555r). gone 1.88 60' on them with over 450rwtq. they are on the bigger side though, 295/45/18
    2005 v6 redfire mustang. yup its slow.
    12.03 @ 118.5 best et
    12.11 @ 122.0 best mph

Silver Award 
    I'm about ready to replace my current set of Nitto 555R's on the rear tires, they've lasted me about 12k. Great tire. I've done a low 1.8 60' on them at the track and rain isn't too bad as long as it's not too heavy or you are going too fast. They've done pretty well on the street with the 4.10s in the mach, a clutch that doesn't slip, and a rear end that doesn't slip, so considering that they've done well and lasted through many smokey burnouts.
    ~Andrew

DannyStyle22
    Quote Originally Posted by TorchedMach1 View Post
    I run the Nitto DR's on my Mach as well, but thats in AZ. I've heard some horror stories about guys driving with them in the rain though. I've never had any problems, but we also don't get alot of rain here.

I had the BFG KDW II's on my old setuo and loved them. Also managed to pull a high 1.9 60' on them at the track. I know alot of people have put them on their stangs.

I agree with the above post about dr's. I am currently running bfg kdw II's (275/35/18) and really like the tire for straight line performance. The only downfall so far is I have quite a bit of road noise from the tires around 70-75mph.