Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 96 cobra and some questions

96 cobra and some questions

Hey all
    I just picked up a 96 mystic cobra. Appears ( to my untrained eye) to be all stock. I have already picked up a set of steeda underdrive pulleys and a K&N cai for it, they go on tomorrow. She has 184,000 miles on her but appears to have been well taken care of.I am the 4th owner, but I picked her up at an auction so I have no idea if the motor has ever been rebuilt. I would love to put a s/c on her, but $$$ will not allow it. Would it be a good or bad idea ( with the high miles) to put a zex nos system on it? I am also a little confused about the whole wet/dry differences. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly welcomed. I am also in the market for a new shifter, I am leaning towards the MGW. Any comments good or bad on that would be awesome. How hard is it to install the mgw shifter, anyone using them on there stangs?

Thanks George

Not sure on the nos but that high of mileage I would guess that the engine has taken some beating. I wouldn't sink to much money in it. Then agian I have a friend that has a 86 fox that has 275k on the block and it runs 12.7s, so good luck.
    jlt cai, o/r bassani x-pipe,magna pack cat back, tri-ax, sct tune by keith @ az dyno chip, solid axle w/ 4.10 gears
    Best time...12.797 @ 108.5 mph w/ 1.76 60ft
    New Best Time....12.3911 @ 106.3 w/ 1.589 60ft
    SOLD

New Toy - 2003 GT stroker, procharger and to much other s**t to list ***SOLD***

Put some bolt ons first....gears are a must.... Put a small 100 shot on it

Gold Award 
    I would say the nitrous should be better for the motor than a s/c. With a s/c you are gonna be putting atleast minimal boost on the motor with every day driving. If you just spray the car at the track with race gas you can minimize the wear and tear on the motor. But if you do spray it I would prolly say go with a 75 shot or something to make sure your safe, and a Wet Kit is a must.

Either way whatever you put on it will still be there when u have to put in a fresh motor. Which your gonna have to do sooner or later.
    Arizona's Fastest Mach 1
    11.14 @ 120 w/ 1.48 60'

GO-FAST MODS
    Magnaflow O/R X-Pipe
    Magnaflow Catback
    Steeda CAI
    Torch Red JLt Intake Tube
    Steeda Tri-Ax
    Spec Stage 3 Clutch
    Built 31 Spline Rear w/ 4.10's
    Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms
    NX Wet Kit (100 Shot)
    SCT Chip
    Custom Tune by PSR

Thanks for all the replies. You all make some valid points. Here is my plan of attack for this vehicle.

underdrive pulleys and cai tomorrow
    new mgw shifter
    new exhuast
    nos system followed by a tune

Not sure what gears are in there now. But from a little research, it seems 4/10's or even 4/30's are the way to go.When would you all throw that in the list above to do? Is there anything else I am missing that would help get this cobra going? Unfortunately I am an electrician and not a mechanic, so most the stuff I will be paying a shop to do for me. I was looking at the zex nos system # 82023, it is a wet system and give a decent boost. If i buy thgat set up, is it a complete set up or would I need more to make the system complete and most of all safe? Sorry about all the questions, I am a complete newbie to performance cars and mods.

TorchedMach1, you are right when I need to rebuild the motor, I will keep all the add ons so, I am not too concerned about putting $ into it since all of it will continue to be used later.Then again, I do not want to trash the car either. I will play it a little conservative for now. But am pretty set on the nos.

Thanks again George

How does the paint look? Just curious to see how well mystic holds up

The paint is in ok condition for being a 96.I posted some pics of the bumpers in the detailing section.The clearcoat is going bad and I am trying to figure out how to fix it. Also there is some small cracking going on, on the hood. Not sure how else to explain it. I am not sure if I should have it worked on with a buffer or not. Right now my main concern is the bumpers. They have white flakey stuff on them, it comes off with a scrape of the fingernail.

IMG]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/here4g2/cobra001.jpg[/IMG],

here is what I am talking about.

George

yikes....possibly severe oxidation.

I know when I am ready to put gears in my '99, I will put the 4.30s in. In the cobra the rpm range is so long the 4.30 would be a great choice. Good luck with the bolts on let us now how it goes
    jlt cai, o/r bassani x-pipe,magna pack cat back, tri-ax, sct tune by keith @ az dyno chip, solid axle w/ 4.10 gears
    Best time...12.797 @ 108.5 mph w/ 1.76 60ft
    New Best Time....12.3911 @ 106.3 w/ 1.589 60ft
    SOLD

New Toy - 2003 GT stroker, procharger and to much other s**t to list ***SOLD***