Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for new exhaust

[quote=TorchedMach1;29775]Go with an O/R midpipe, you should have no worries with emissions as ASUSMC stated. I love my Magnaflow catback.

You will definately want to get the car tuned after installing your exhaust. I have great confidence in Devin's tuning over at Performance Solutions. Give them a call.[/quote] Hi TorchedMach1; Just curious, I was reading through the suggestions on exhaust, and by the way I have Magnaflow exhaust on all but my 04 Mach-1 that has Bassani from the heads back. But back to what I was going to ask you. Why go with a chip, in an OBD2 car? Every time you have the car inspected for emissions, you would have to remove the chip. Reason being, when they plug in to your ALDL port under the dash it will come back with a different processor code. I know you mentioned SCT, even with the SCT switch-chip you can set it to a stock tune and it will still come back with another processor code. If I were you, I would invest in a hand-held tuner, then you could inspect your vehicle even with a custom performance tune installed in your computer. I don't know how they work your vehicle inspection where you live, but here they test emissions, every other inspection. One year is just safety, then the next year they test emissions and safety, Mike.
    40th Anniversary American Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by 96 myst View Post
    I ended up getting FRPP 4.10's. Got a chance to check the car out today, roads where finally dry!! I am happy with the difference that I am feeling in the car.New u/d pulleys and gears at the same time has definately made an improvement. After I get the throttle body installed and new exhaust on, I will definately be going to PSR to have them put a tune on.Are any of the tuners better than the others for my application? I am loving the cobra, so glad I was finally able to get one. Only problem I can see is the never ending quest for speed!!!!! Seems like alot of you like the flowmasters, would they sound good with bassini midpipes?

Thanks again.
    If you have a Bassani X pipe for your mid section, I would stick with the Bassani, it sounds NASTY!!! I have Magnaflow, on my Notch, on my Lightning, and on my 96 COBRA. But I have Bassani, from the heads back, X with cats, and cat back on my 04 Mach-1. Let me tell you, it doesn't even sound like a Mustang, but it sounds mean and nasty. And it's not too loud, you don't get that drone sound inside when your cruising. When I say it doesn't sound like a Mustang, all Mustangs have a certain sound to them no matter what exhaust you put on them, that is if it has an H pipe, but when you put an X pipe on them they sound all together different. Listen to two, side by side, one with an X pipe and the other with an H pipe and you can tell the difference right off, Mike.

I really like the Magnaflow stuff. Magnapacks if you have cats or standard Magnaflows if you don't.

I tried Magnapacks with an O/R H once and it was make your head hurt loud.
    2012 GT500 543/533 11.7@120
    1995 5.0 minute or two per lap

Quote Originally Posted by 96 myst View Post
    Ok guys, now that I have the new gears installed, U/D pulleys installed.The new twin 62mm throttle body is here but not installed yet, I am looking to upgrade the exhaust on my 96 cobra. Thoinking about going with something from headers back, possibly a set up with no cats and then change back to factory for emissions. I have done some looking around but really have no idea what would be an easy swap and yet give me that rumblin sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    I don't know why everybody thinks running off/road X or H pipes on the road is going to give them some big gain in power. If your going to run anything, run an X pipe with cats. By running an off/road pipe on the road, your actually losing an average of 15HP. I've tuned using SCT software for years, and each time I see some kid come in with an off/road pipe I have seen an average of 15HP loss. You lose much needed backpressure you need with an every day driver. If you want something that will wake that 32 valve motor up, run a Bassani X pipe w/cats and a Bassani cat back. It worked on mine, and it sounds like nothing you've heard before NASTY!!!! I have a 96, w/a 4.6 Aluminator long block from FRPP N/A w/ported heads. This car sounds awesome, Mike.

Gold Award 
    [quote=ITLRUN;48520]
    Quote Originally Posted by TorchedMach1 View Post
    Go with an O/R midpipe, you should have no worries with emissions as ASUSMC stated. I love my Magnaflow catback.

You will definately want to get the car tuned after installing your exhaust. I have great confidence in Devin's tuning over at Performance Solutions. Give them a call.[/quote] Hi TorchedMach1; Just curious, I was reading through the suggestions on exhaust, and by the way I have Magnaflow exhaust on all but my 04 Mach-1 that has Bassani from the heads back. But back to what I was going to ask you. Why go with a chip, in an OBD2 car? Every time you have the car inspected for emissions, you would have to remove the chip. Reason being, when they plug in to your ALDL port under the dash it will come back with a different processor code. I know you mentioned SCT, even with the SCT switch-chip you can set it to a stock tune and it will still come back with another processor code. If I were you, I would invest in a hand-held tuner, then you could inspect your vehicle even with a custom performance tune installed in your computer. I don't know how they work your vehicle inspection where you live, but here they test emissions, every other inspection. One year is just safety, then the next year they test emissions and safety, Mike.
    My car is still registered at my parents address, and they live in the boonies, so I have no emissions testing, so its no big deal. But I think either way we don't have to worry about it here in AZ.
    Arizona's Fastest Mach 1
    11.14 @ 120 w/ 1.48 60'

GO-FAST MODS
    Magnaflow O/R X-Pipe
    Magnaflow Catback
    Steeda CAI
    Torch Red JLt Intake Tube
    Steeda Tri-Ax
    Spec Stage 3 Clutch
    Built 31 Spline Rear w/ 4.10's
    Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms
    NX Wet Kit (100 Shot)