Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discuss my decision NOT to purchase an 03/04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Radeon
    Im going to get a 05 V6 premium and get the 5.4 alum block and the GT heads. I dont even know if this kind of conversion has been done before. Im sure it will be alot of work, but in the end I'll have exactly what I want. I can get a six for 17-20K. The cheapest GT I've seen around is around 26K. The diffrence can buy the engine, trans, and rear that I want.
    Sounds like a good plan
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Anyone have a good idea on what parts will be needed?

5.4 alum shortblock
    GT heads
    Crowler Stg III cams
    Kenne Bell/Whipple
    6speed out of a 03/04 Cobra
    Driveshaft
    Built 8.8 rearend
    Computer/harness?
    GT or Gt500 instrument cluster?

I plan on saving every bit of weight as possible. Rear seat delete, aftermarket front seats, etc.
    Future 2008 Shelby GT 500 owner

2005 Mustang GT-318rwhp
    JLT Intake, Pullies, axleback, SCT w/ bamachips 93 octane race tune.--Gone

2005 Chevy Tahoe-5.3L 295hp

Gold Award 
    You'll have over 7K in the cams, heads and GT block if you can still find one. Thats just for the price of the parts.

The 6 speed out of the new Shelby is better than the T56 also. Might want to price that out in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG
    You'll have over 7K in the cams, heads and GT block if you can still find one. Thats just for the price of the parts.

The 6 speed out of the new Shelby is better than the T56 also. Might want to price that out in comparison.
    Thats what I figured. I figure it will be about 15K or so for all I want to do. That would put total price between 30-35K. Not too bad at all considering what an 03/04 cobra costs around here. Definately a good deal considering what the GT500's will be going for. Hopefully I can get 750 at the wheels relatively easy. Anyone see the JDM alum 5.4 short block in the last couple of mm&ff mags? Thinking about calling them up tomorrow and getting a quote.

2005 Mustang GT-318rwhp

If there is one thing I have learned its take whatever you think it is going to cost and add 50% this will give you a truly accurate cost estimate.

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeon
    I figure it will be about 15K or so for all I want to do.
    First off DO NOT use any 5.4L aluminum block except the Ford GT's. The SHM and World blocks have already failed more than once a piece.

Second, you will have over 15K in the engine itself.

GT block $2800 on karkraft.com
    GT heads $1500 on Ebay once or twice a month from the same guy (stangin)
    Crower cam/spring/retainer setup 1300 minimum if you can get a group buy or dealer cost through Dan or Jared @ LP.com
    Crower valves $800
    Bearings $100
    5.4 Forged crank $550
    CP Billet pistons and rods $2100
    Canton windage tray $80
    Canton street/strip 7 qt. Pan $250

So thats $9500 for the absolute essential parts alone (excluding the ~$1000 you'll need for head and rod bolts, head gaskets, valve covers, intake manifold etc.) AND before any labor/machining if needed.

Now add in your optional "upgrades"...

$1000-2000 for head work.
    $2000-3000 for starter provision work (mandatory) and a conversion to wet sump system (not mandatory and I'd stick to a dry sump if at all possible)
    $1500 for wet sleeve
    $ ? for balancing the rotating assembly
    $ God knows for the more than likely custom headers for it to fit into a stang's engine bay.

And on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Bite
    If there is one thing I have learned its take whatever you think it is going to cost and add 50% this will give you a truly accurate cost estimate.
    Hmm, sounds like a labor quote from SVC...
    Last edited by 50 BMG; 04-16-06 at 10:05 PM.

To me it seems like that would be an endless blackhole for money and heartache. Everything would be custom (can you even get a KB for the GT heads on a 5.4).

It would definately be cool, but unless your are sitting on a mountain of money and/or can perform the work yourself, I wouldn't do it.

I agree with lucaful, if you want the new style mustang, get the gt and put a saleen blower on it. Build the bottom end if you want to go for bigger power.

If you can't find any Cobras that you like around here, look nationwide and spend a few hundred for a plane ticket: Cars.com search.

Pick up a Cobra and a Helion turbo kit and you can get to 700ish hp relatively easy. (Relative to what you listed above. Still quite a bit of work) Cobra for $25 - 30K and $10k for turbo and supporting mods.
    Last edited by sovapid; 04-16-06 at 11:01 PM.

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by sovapid
    To me it seems like that would be an endless blackhole for money and heartache. Everything would be custom (can you even get a KB for the GT heads on a 5.4).

It would definately be cool, but unless your are sitting on a mountain of money and/or can perform the work yourself, I wouldn't do it.
    I was going to do the same build as I listed out above. As you can see, doing it right the first time would cost me 20 grand. I abandoned the Ford GT engine build about a month ago now.

I'm thinking of just buying a GT outright in 2008 or 2009 when they're going to be at the lowest price and with the most availability.

Gold Award 
    Sounds expensive. Good luck on your decision. Horsepower is like crack, you'll always want more. I'm currently in therapy.

I posted about this over at modularfords.com. Most people over there suggest that I get a GT instead of a V6. Their reasoning is that I would have a better base car to start with. It would already have the 8.8 w/ 31 spline axles, better interior, better suspension, it would be much easier to use the GT's wiring harness and computer for the 5.4, and it would be more enjoyable to drive until the conversion. Someone suggested that I would have to have the varible valve timing shut off in the tune and thats it.

I also emailed JDM Motorsports about their Ford GT based shortblock. The price is VERY HIGH, but it comes ready to slap heads on and go. Below is their response to my email.

"Ryan,

The Aluminum Shortblock as we built in the magazine is capable of handling 1500 HP. We do have them instock ready to ship. They come with manley h beam rods with arp 2000 rod bolts, Manley std bore pistons with plasma moly rings, new bearings, arp custom made main studs, the gt windage tray, piston squirtters, Oil Pump, oil pump spacer, pick up tube, Custom made Oil pan and gasket. This also comes one year no detonation warrantied! The shortblock is $7645. Now I know you said this is for an 05 mustang, the only thing I can think that maybe necessary to install it is a driverside motor mount, you may not, its just we have only installed these in Lightning's and Cobra's so far. We are working on getting one in our 05 mustang but probably not untill after the summer.

JimIII"

I think Im going to go through with this. Im going to purchase the middle of June. The wife and I are getting our own place finally the first of June. I'll buy the shortblock before I buy the car just in case there is a shortage of blocks or anything.

Here's part one of the magazine article he's referring to.
    http://www.teamjdm.com/articles/JDM_Motor.pdf
    Last edited by Radeon; 04-17-06 at 11:22 PM.

2005 Mustang GT-318rwhp