Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailed the '88, pics inside (56K, go make a sandwich)

Talking Detailed the '88, pics inside (56K, go make a sandwich)

So I've been interested in detailing lately...well, not just detailing but 'paint correction'. It's always bothered me that my cars have swirl marks in the sun even though I take great care on how I wash and dry them, dust them, etc.

I bought a Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher, some Meguiar's foam pads and #83, #80, and #7 polishes. I ran tape down the center of the hood and only worked the driver's side to provide a good contrast between "before and after." Here are the results:

You can clearly see the swirling and holograms on the left side of the hood:

Close up of the swirling and holograms before:

After:

For those interested, here is my process:

1. Wash with Meguiar's Gold Class car wash
    2. Clay with Meguair's clay kit. Necessary to remove bonded surface contamination before polishing
    3. Meguiar's #83 dual action cleaner polish on W8006 foam pad at speed 5 (2 passes)
    4. Meguiar's #80 speed glaze on W8006 foam pad at speed 5 (1 pass)
    5. Meguiar's #7 show car glaze on W9006 foam pad at speed 5 (1 pass)
    6. Meguiar's Nxt wax

Thanks for looking :D
    68 Hardtop
    "Kandi Taylor"

Thanks for posting, it looks great, and it's a bit of coincidence since I was just now going to log off, and search how to do that! You can clearly see a difference in your before/after pictures. It must look even better in person!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwrangler View Post
    Thanks for posting, it looks great, and it's a bit of coincidence since I was just now going to log off, and search how to do that! You can clearly see a difference in your before/after pictures. It must look even better in person!
    Thanks I learned everything I know from Meguiar's online and autopia.org detailing forums. Can't say enough about the Porter Cable 7424 polisher. The swirls are gone forever, not just hidden.
    68 Hardtop
    "Kandi Taylor"

Platinum Award 
    Great tip!!! Thanks!
    "The choices we make, dictates the lives we lead"

Silver Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tuff68 View Post
    Thanks I learned everything I know from Meguiar's online and autopia.org detailing forums. Can't say enough about the Porter Cable 7424 polisher. The swirls are gone forever, not just hidden.
    So long as the swirling was removed before you went to the glaze, then they should be gone for good. If they were still present when you switched to the glaze, they'll be back. Personally I'd recommend staying away from the glazes unless you are just about to show the car because they are made up of a lot of fillers that will temporarily hide and deepen the gloss of the paint, so you really don't gain much from them for daily use.
    ~Andrew

They are definitely gone, I rolled it into the sun between passes with M83 and M80 to make sure no swirls left.
    68 Hardtop
    "Kandi Taylor"

Silver Award 
    Very nice.
    ~Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by 1tuff68 View Post
    I was just going to say, looks like a fellow Autopian with the PC and array of Megs products. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
    I was just going to say, looks like a fellow Autopian with the PC and array of Megs products. Nice job!
    Thanks, you nailed it :D
    68 Hardtop
    "Kandi Taylor"

Silver Award 
    Wow! So easy that a Caveman could do it!!!