Thread: Can someone explain the difference in cams?

Hybrid View

Gold Award 

Can someone explain the difference in cams?

The difference between B303, E303, F303, X303, Z303 and whatever other letter prefix cam there is? I am sure it has something to do with lift and duration but can someone put an order to it from mildest to wildest and let me know what other prefix is in the mix? I did find on the ford racing website that the F is good for superchargers and the X and Z are good for high revs. Which ones idle better than the others, etc.?

Platinum Award 
    You Have the order right there, I'm pretty sure! I have a E in my 89 and when I bought it they said it was "Two Steps up"
    "The choices we make, dictates the lives we lead"

Hey Dave, your right when you said that your E303 cam was two steps up from your stock bump stick. The E303, is the largest camshaft you want to use in your 5.0 liter if you still have the stock bottom end. The lift at the valve, is as follows: Intake - 0.498, and Exhaust - 0.498 with a 1.60 rocker ratio. If you want the formula on lift change, by changing rocker ratio would be as follows. Take the lift at the valve, 0.498 and divide by your rocker ratio 1.60 = 0.311, then multiply by the rocker ratio you intend to use. Example: take 0.311 and multiply by 1.70 = 0.529. That would be the difference in lift at the valve, between a 1.60 rocker ratio and a 1.70 rocker ratio. Now back to the subject, Ford's alpfabet soup on camshafts is as follows : B303, E303, F303, X303, and Z303, respectfully from mild, to wild, Mike D. ( ITLRUN ). Oh yeah, Dave how are you making out on the engine badges? Have you come up with a figure yet, on the information I gave you on my 89? The picture in the avatar, is my 89 notch. The color, is House of Color Tangelo Pearl.
    Last edited by ITLRUN; 05-15-08 at 02:40 PM.

Platinum Award 
    I'm getting to it, I have to wait to use the system over at my buddies and he has been verybusy so I have to wait for him but the 5.0 engine bagdes are on the table right now, just have to finish the design.. Soon I hope!! Great right up on the cams!!
    D

Thanks for the compliment, on the write up on the cams Dave. My question, is have you come up with a figure yet on the badges based on the information I gave you? Mike D. ITLRUN.

Platinum Award 
    Yes
    They won't be more than about $40...Max plus s/h!