Thread: dynoed friends D1SC 97 cobra.

Question dynoed friends D1SC 97 cobra.

So the car will not go over 6000 RPM. It acts like it is hitting a rev limiter. But the limit is 6800. Spark is consistent and fuel looks good. mass is perfect. the car has 108k miles. I dont know what is up! Has new spark plugs and wires. Now the on the last pull it made 385rwhp and 355tq@ 6k rpms. but it puffed white smoke... or so one person said was. I did not see. Now the tuner is calling it a Head gasket. The car is running hot. BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE A THERMOSTAT. It has pro chargers plug/blocker. Takes the car FOREVER to heat up. and it is 117 out side. I cant tell if there is oil in water or water in oil.... any idea's? I was going to pressurize the cooling system and see if it leaks. The car had 9 pulls and only the last puffed "white" smoke. The other 8 did smoke but thats cause it hit the unknown rev limiter.(SMOKE WAS BLACK) IDEAS?

Gold Award 
    wow... you had someone tuning it and nobody watching the tailpipes? hmmm... no wonder why Devin is the only guy i will let tune my car...

Tuned By PSR TUNING
    11.07 @ 127.93
    My Autolog Profile

Platinum Award 
    get a combustion leak test done to tell you if the head gaskets are blown.

and why doesnt it have thermostat in it?
    2005 v6 redfire mustang. yup its slow.
    12.03 @ 118.5 best et
    12.11 @ 122.0 best mph

well the owner of the car said he would watch.... but he got a phone call and walked away..... we all have are opinions with tunners... lets not start some thing. I don't trust ANYONE unless i see it with my eyes..... Too many people want to act like they are apart of something so they will say what ever... (even if it was not white smoke).

pro charger sends some restrictor. you take out the thermo. and put this in......
    Still not sure about it also....

OIL IN COOLENT, idle is rough, exhaust smells sweet............ no point for thread, Just took a bit of driving....

wanted opinions... but now that there is oil in coolent no need.....

Gold Award 
    so what does that mean, head gasket?

Platinum Award 
    head gasket, head, or block :( that sucks
    2005 v6 redfire mustang. yup its slow.
    12.03 @ 118.5 best et
    12.11 @ 122.0 best mph

well it is slowly getting worse so head gasket looks like the problem.... Owner is pulling funds for 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by chewbaccajones View Post
    so what does that mean, head gasket?
    the gasket between the head and block is leaking coolant into one or more combustion chambers. killing the burn, and making oil go into coolant and coolant into oil. also making exh. smell sweet....

as the owner last night raced everything in sight. It progressively got worse. now the car can hardly idle. can feel the moister off the car. lol.

When it comes down to replace the head gasket, don't replace the head bolts. Replace with ARP studs, or you will definitly blow the head gaskets again. Another thing, put a thermostat in that car, your just asking for more problems down the road. I run a fail safe thermostat, in all my cars including my 89 Notch, N/A 2786 lbs. with driver, 1.47 60 ft. Mickey Thompson drag radials, 28 X 10.5 and 10.87 @ 133.527 w/17lbs psi. Do it right, and find yourself a reputable tuner who knows what he's doing, Mike.
    40th Anniversary American Muscle