Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official Solid Axle Thread

Anybody looking for a straight axle-got a guy on another board in the local phoenix area has a hell of a deal on a 31 spline set up he has been trying to sell for a few weeks:

Stock 8.8 housing
    Detroit True Trac 31 spline diff.
    Moser 31 Spline Axles W/ ABS exciter rings installed
    3'' Wheel studs
    Complete Overhaul Kit (all bearings, seals, shims and gaskets)
    Spherical Bushings for upper control arm mounting point
    FMS 3.73 ring and pinion

I have well over a grand into this setup and all of it is NEW never even had oil put into it . . .

$900.00 or $1400 with all brake parts . . .
    The Truetrac is about $500 and the axles are about $300 a set so if anybody is looking shoot me a PM and I will get you in touch with him.
    11.724@120.065 (1.839 60ft)

"It doesn't matter how bad your car is on the Dyno-it's the clock at the end of the track that counts!"

Hey Ratt
    Tell us about your setup.
    I can tell it hooks well.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

You guys with wheel hop are missing the point. It's not the height of the sidewall, but the thickness.

Radials have too many plys and don't flex or wrap. The bias ply ET Streets are nice and thin, even on 17's.

The '99 - '01 Cobra was always rumored to have a very weak IRS that was prone to breakage.

That just wasn't the case for me. I made well over 100 passes with 4.30 gears, on bias-ply ET Streets and was consistently down in the 1.68 range for 60' times good for a personal best of 12.5 at a prepped track (Famoso) with my '01 Cobra.

On the street, running 315's helped. But it would still hop a bit. But, any radial DR or street oriented and aired up tire will do that with either a solid or IRS.

Only mod to my suspension was Eibach "Pro-Kit" springs, which theoretically should have hurt, not helped.

I plan to give the ET Streets a try. I know there are a ton of IRS equipped cobras going real fast.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

I must admit, I was scared to death after reading all the internet hype about broken half-shafts, etc.

People swore instant death, especially running sticky tires, and gears on a stuck track.

As it turns out, tire type and technique can make things happen. I simply put down too many passes to say it was just being lucky.

More breakage comes from trying too hard, running aired up Radial DR's and simply failing to lift once the hop begins.

After my experience being around Terminator owners who run ALOT of passes on sticky tires, I would say the IRS is just as capable and durable as any 8.8 stick axle.

The only negative that I can see, is the 80 lbs of extra weight the IRS carries around. Other than that, the IRS soaks up all the mid-corner asphalt ripples and bumps on my canyon carving commute and at my Open Track events, that would never even be thought possible with a remotely stock solid axle from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    Well guys those of you with solids on your terminators or any other mustangs post up your setup for those considering the swap.

Thanks
    8.8, 9" ends, welded tubes, braced, girdle, full spool, 4.10's, 33 spline axles, explorer brake kit, hardcore lowers, double adjustable uppers with solid bushing on both ends, anti-roll bar, qa1 adjustables, welded seams and plated tq boxes, bullitt springs. been 1.43 with the 6-speed, suspension and vehicle weight was pretty jacked up at the time. auto 60's coming soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    8.8, 9" ends, welded tubes, braced, girdle, full spool, 4.10's, 33 spline axles, explorer brake kit, hardcore lowers, double adjustable uppers with solid bushing on both ends, anti-roll bar, qa1 adjustables, welded seams and plated tq boxes, bullitt springs. been 1.43 with the 6-speed, suspension and vehicle weight was pretty jacked up at the time. auto 60's coming soon!!!
    That is a fricken bad ass setup.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    That is a fricken bad ass setup.
    thanks!

KHP's set up sounds bullet proof!

1.43's are strong enough pull the ass out of a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Brakelate View Post
    KHP's set up sounds bullet proof!

1.43's are strong enough pull the ass out of a cat!
    Yea he is going to be pulling off some sub 10 second Et's soon.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5