Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension tuning

Suspension tuning

ANybody here good at setting up suspensions?

I have mainly MM parts LCA's, subs, pan hard bar, etc (pretty much the rear grip kit) and D-SPec shocks. I have been struggling to figure out what works and am looking for help if anybody has any experience. My 60 fts are killing me especially when I see other Machs with stock or near stock suspensions cutting faster short times. I am lucky to get 1.7 and I see others on DR's getting 1.5's on a regular basis. I am running M/T DR's and I am pretty sure I have more torque then most other Machs so I am sure the problem is in the setup.
    Last edited by QTRPONY; 04-08-06 at 09:39 AM.
    11.724@120.065 (1.839 60ft)

"It doesn't matter how bad your car is on the Dyno-it's the clock at the end of the track that counts!"

came and see us @ performance solutions we can help

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    came and see us @ performance solutions we can help
    Just curious what you can do in the shop? I was thinking that I would need to figure out what the problem was at the track i.e. by trial and error to see what works.

BTW-I think I saw in an earlier post that Devin (not sure of his last name) was working there. If so, he built a 347 motor for me when he worked at AMP which ran like bat out of hell. His boss and I almost went at in his office :twisted: but Devin was pretty cool. He was about the only one down there I trusted.

"It doesn't matter how bad your car is on the Dyno-it's the clock at the end of the track that counts!"

Quote Originally Posted by QTRPONY
    ANybody here good at setting up suspensions?

I have mainly MM parts LCA's, subs, pan hard bar, etc (pretty much the rear grip kit) and D-SPec shocks. I have been struggling to figure out what works and am looking for help if anybody has any experience. My 60 fts are killing me especially when I see other Machs with stock or near stock suspensions cutting faster short times. I am lucky to get 1.7 and I see others on DR's getting 1.5's on a regular basis. I am running M/T DR's and I am pretty sure I have more torque then most other Machs so I am sure the problem is in the setup.
    What PSI are you running on the D/Rs?
    Do you do a good burn out?
    Do you shallow stage on the tree?
    Are you dumping the clutch or slipping it when you launch.
    1.7 isn't a bad 60ft.
    Your trap speed sould net an 11.5 or so.
    Heck I wish I could get a 1.5, but the IRS limits my aggression.
    It takes some experimenting. I used to run consistent 1.5-1.6 60ft times on my old 5.0, but it took many runs to figure out what worked best.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by Burntire
    What PSI are you running on the D/Rs?
    Do you do a good burn out?
    Do you shallow stage on the tree?
    Are you dumping the clutch or slipping it when you launch.
    1.7 isn't a bad 60ft.
    Your trap speed sould net an 11.5 or so.
    Heck I wish I could get a 1.5, but the IRS limits my aggression.
    It takes some experimenting. I used to run consistent 1.5-1.6 60ft times on my old 5.0, but it took many runs to figure out what worked best.
    I am running @ 14 psi. I figure that is about as low as I can go without breaking a bead. I still trapped at 121 last night so the low pressure did not hurt.

Ithink I do a pretty good burnout, probably at least 30 seconds especially early. I smoke the tires in first and then shift into second (I have a line lock which helps) for another 20 seconds or so.

As far as staging I try to stage just enough to trip the second light.

1.7 is OK but when you compare it to 1.5 there is room for improvement. I am thinking with a stock suspension I would be happy but I have some of the best parts money can buy (MM) and I don't think I should be getting "holeshot" by somebody with a stock parts.

Going by the trap speed I am thinking I should be running low to mid 11's.

I am slipping the clutch mainly because every time I have dumped it I have spun and bounced it off the rev limiter. :twisted:
    Last edited by QTRPONY; 04-08-06 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QTRPONY
    I am running @ 14 psi. I figure that is about as low as I can go without breaking a bead. I still trapped at 121 last night so the low pressure did not hurt.

Ithink I do a pretty good burnout, probably at least 30 seconds especially early. I smoke the tires in first and then shift into second (I have a line lock which helps) for another 20 seconds or so.

As far as staging I try to stage just enough to trip the second light.

1.7 is OK but when you compare it to 1.5 there is room for improvement. I am thinking with a stock suspension I would be happy but I have some of the best parts money can buy (MM) and I don't think I should be getting "holeshot" by somebody with a stock parts.

Going by the trap speed I am thinking I should be running low to mid 11's.

I am slipping the clutch mainly because every time I have dumped it I have spun and bounced it off the rev limiter. :twisted:
    Man that is one hell of a burn out.
    I burn out for 5 seconds in second gear with line lock.
    What RPM are you launching at?
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Gold Award 
    well since the azps homo fagged up your other thread ill reply here.

Are you bogging at all? i like to have alittle spin when i launch. so if your bogging then try to launch alittle higher and give it gas earlier so there is no bog. the s/c whine helps to hear if you bog or not. also maybe bump the psi up to 15-17. its gonna take some train and error. I bog with et streets and cut 1.6-1.7 and i know its has some 1.5s in mine with some practice.

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucafu1
    huh?

What thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucafu1

Are you bogging at all? i like to have alittle spin when i launch. so if your bogging then try to launch alittle higher and give it gas earlier so there is no bog. the s/c whine helps to hear if you bog or not. also maybe bump the psi up to 15-17. its gonna take some train and error. I bog with et streets and cut 1.6-1.7 and i know its has some 1.5s in mine with some practice.
    Yeah, he's a piece of work isn't he. The best his shop can do is a goat running 11.49 & one with a crate motor (cause they blew the factory one) that only ran 11.55 before the guy put it up for sale. He went through a couple of tranny's in the process. The one at SW friday night is slipping already so he will be down without a tranny soon.

I bogged a little on my second pass and then came back and lauunched a little higher and broke traction. The fastest of the night was a 1.73 and I was wheel hopping pretty bad so I stiffened the rear up a little and it went away but I could not get a quicker 60.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG
    huh?

What thread?
    He was talking about a thread on AZMUSTANGS. The dipshit that runs the shop that worked on a Goat that I ran at SW on Fridaynight came on talking crap. I ran him 11.80 to 11.49 and he his talking how he owned me. He does not want to talk about the race a few minutes earlier when "his" goat got his ass handed to him 11.11 to 11.57. I posted the video up in the Drag Racing forum.