Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking into nitrous any opinions?

looking into nitrous any opinions?

i have a 1999 mustang gt and i was thinking of adding a 50 shot, only thing is i have absolutely no clue about nitrous and what i need to run a safe kit. can anyone help me pick out a kit and any extras i need? and how hard is install? is it something i could get a pizza and beers to get a fellow forum member over to help with? Thanks for any help guys!
    1999 Mustang

Gold Award 
    Well of course your gonna need a complete nitrous kit, I like NX or TNT kits. You could also pickup the NX GenX 2 kit. The GenX 2 kit will come with your purge, bottle heater, pressure guage, etc. The only other things you will need is a Window Switch and possibly a Wide Open Throttle switch, not sure if one of the kits comes will come with the WOT switch or not. You can pick up a WOT switch here locally. I would also highly recommend picking up a fitting from PSR that will pull the fuel from the incoming line instead of off the end of one of the rails.

Here are the kits I mentioned above, and a Window Switch:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/nx-efi...2vgt-9604.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/niexackit2.html

http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=6985

Also buying everything new can be pretty expensive. If you look around on some of the forums you can oick up a used kit pretty cheap. I'll see if there is anything over on the mach1registry for ya.

When it comes to install it wasn't too hard, I had some great help from a good buddy. I'm sure a few members on here could be convinced to help ya out, espescially if ya throw in some Pizza and BEER.
    Arizona's Fastest Mach 1
    11.14 @ 120 w/ 1.48 60'

GO-FAST MODS
    Magnaflow O/R X-Pipe
    Magnaflow Catback
    Steeda CAI
    Torch Red JLt Intake Tube
    Steeda Tri-Ax
    Spec Stage 3 Clutch
    Built 31 Spline Rear w/ 4.10's
    Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms
    NX Wet Kit (100 Shot)
    SCT Chip
    Custom Tune by PSR

this is some great information, i guess the only questions i have are what does each part of this kit do exactly? like a why do i need a bottle warmer, and whats a blow down tube for? and whats the window switch for and what a WOT switch does?, thanks for the info man!
    1999 Mustang

Bottle warmer: Nitrous works like a thing of canned air you hold upside down. It blows out cold. The colder it is the less active the molecules lowering bottle pressure, the lower the bottle pressure, the less nitrous actually comes out. Great for back to back runs. Also why you see the guys on pinks heating nitrous bottles with torches.

Blow down tube: In case a valve or something in the bottle fails it blows all the nitrous out into the atmosphere behind the car so you don't blow your motor. REQUIRED TO RUN NITROUS AT THE TRACK.

Window switch: Only allows the Nitrous to actually be sprayed within a certain RPM band to prevent pooling in the intake and THIS>>> Killspray's Nitrous Explosion

Wide open throttle switch: Assures that you only spray at Wide open throttle.

Both switches are safety things. Very necessary but not required.
    2012 Race Red GT w/ a 5 Liter and a 6 speed
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T traded in.
    '03 DBS Cobra .... Traded in, THANK GOD
    '01 Ford Lightning.... Sold, sorely missed

well that explains pretty much everything i didnt know about the parts/ what about this fitting from PSR for the fuel? also is this stuff pretty universal, like if i get a bottle warmer from zex and have a NX kit will it all work? also will my car handle a 50-100 shot ok?

here are my current mods:
    Bassani catted X-pipe
    SLP LM2 cat back
    Pro. Products 75mm TB and planem
    BBK CAI
    Steeda U/D pulleys
    Pro 5.0 Power Tower
    Eibach pro-kit
    Tokico shocks/struts
    Centerforce DF clutch
    Fidanza flywheel
    Diablo sport tuner
    18x10 and 18x9 Deep Dish chrome Bullits
    NITTO NT555's
    Subframe connectors
    13'' cobra brakes
    1999 Mustang

50-100 you should still be good to go. Nitrous safety, just like any power adder, is all in the tune. I don't know what fuel fitting you are talking about but you will need either a Boost-a-pump or larger capacity fuel pumps. I know Devin at PSR has tuned many nitrous GT's.

torched mach above was talking a fitting from PSR for the fuel rail or something, also will my fuel system handle a 50 shot or will i need to upgrade regardless, also will i need to get dyno tuned for a 50 shot or just 100 shot?
    1999 Mustang

It MAY have enough capacity for a 50 but its a good idea to upgrade them now. You will need a tune for either. If you start with a 50 shot you will want to upgrade pretty quickly, thus needing the larger pumps.

so is a boost a pump all i need for 50-100 shot? my injectors and maf sensor and fuel pump are ok stock?
    1999 Mustang

Not sure. Check with Devin or whoever will be tuning your car what