Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iron Block mach 1?

Every thing I have read, said that the blocks were Aluminum for both 03' and 04' Mach's.

Being a limited production Car with 9652 built in 03', and 7137 built in 04', I don't see Ford switching over between model years, it is said that they lost $3000 on each one built, as it is.

The "R" in the vin is the engine code, designating the 4.6L DOHC motor (same code as the 69 428 Cobra Jet motor). The emissions difference is in the catalytic converters, 03' Cars have 4 brick Cats, 04' Cars have 6 brick Cats.

Cast Iron Blocks were used in Cobras, due to the need for higher strength (at a reasonable cost) for the stress of the supercharger. And on the GT, as a cost reduction measure. Earler N/A Cobras also had Aluminum blocks, the most desirable being the Tecskid blocks cast in Italy in the same foundry where blocks for Ferrari, and Maserata are also cast.

Quote Originally Posted by ITLRUN View Post
    The only thing aluminum on the 03's, was the heads and the front cover for the timing chains. Hate to disappoint you, but a friend of mine has 3, 2 03's and an 04. One Blue, one red, and the 04 is competition orange.
    I love it when people put out bogus information and try to pass off their source of information to be a friend.

Let's try this:

http://www.mach1registry.com/Specs/Specs.htm

Most if not all on here are members at the registry. Dave has put together a lot of facts and info on the Mach. On the spec sheet it shows an aluminum block also if you scroll down and look at the comparison (Mach vs. GT vs. Bullit) it clearly specifies once again that the block is aluminum.

ITLRUN-if you got something other than "your friend" as a source then how about posting it. Has everybody else but you has confirmed on here they were aluminum blocks and you AND your friend are mistaken.

Rick,

I would say anything is possible BUT I doubt he has a "rare" iron block. He could be wrong and it is aluminum (probably told by a friend-lol) or he could have blown his motor and replaced it with one with an iron block.
    I have seen where there are certain mistakes that come out of the factory that get through but I would have a hard time believing he had a 2v GT motor in his car from the fatory or that they would have built a 4v mach motor with an iron block.

I would be curious to see what his explanation is for having an iron block.
    11.724@120.065 (1.839 60ft)

"It doesn't matter how bad your car is on the Dyno-it's the clock at the end of the track that counts!"

A second confirmation:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...h_1/index.html

The Bullitt's engine (cast-iron block and two-valve aluminum heads) has a lower center of gravity than the Mach 1 (or Cobra) engine, with its aluminum block but heavier four-valve heads.
    11.724@120.065 (1.839 60ft)

"It doesn't matter how bad your car is on the Dyno-it's the clock at the end of the track that counts!"