Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Block mach 1?

Iron Block mach 1?

Ok... I thought I'd read an awful lot about the 03/04 Mach 1. I bought my mach in October 02 and waited around seven months for it. In that whole time I've watched the forums for information. But today at the Cool 94.5 car show I struck up a conversation with the owner of a white 03. He had a ricer wing on the back and some road race stickers on the side. I noticed a for sale sign in the window and walked over to read the list of mods he had printed and displayed under the hood. He had put a six-spd in it, and after a very brief conversation he told me "This is a very special R code mach that was built with an iron block instead of an aluminum block".

Is he nuts/lying/or the owner of a really rare car?

I don't know about nuts, etc. but in 03 the MACH'S came with a cast-iron block. It wasn't until 04, that they came all aluminum, heads and block just like the screaming yellow one you see here, Mike. ( As for the code, to be honest I can't help you there. )
    40th Anniversary American Muscle

Hmmmm. In five years of reading these forums you'd a thunk I'd have seen this topic before? If this is true shouldn't there be a big difference in the cars weight?

I'm sure this will open a can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by rsnider View Post
    Hmmmm. In five years of reading these forums you'd a thunk I'd have seen this topic before? If this is true shouldn't there be a big difference in the cars weight?

I'm sure this will open a can of worms.
    More than likely, also the automatics had cast iron cranks, while the sticks had forged steel cranks and an extra 1000 RPMs to the red line, Mike.

Silver Award 
    ALL mach's came with a Aluminum block, that I'm certain of as I was ordering them when I was working at the dealer when they first came out. The "rare" is the R in the VIN of every single Mach 1 that designates that it is a Mach 1. The only major difference between the two years of the car are the emissions control setup, where the 04 varies just a little bit. Other than that all manuals came with an 8-bolt forged crankshaft, while autos came with a 6-bolt the cast.

There were no cast iron blocks put into these cars to my knowledge.
    ~Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by IMSHAKN View Post
    ALL mach's came with a Aluminum block, that I'm certain of as I was ordering them when I was working at the dealer when they first came out. The "rare" is the R in the VIN of every single Mach 1 that designates that it is a Mach 1. The only major difference between the two years of the car are the emissions control setup, where the 04 varies just a little bit. Other than that all manuals came with an 8-bolt forged crankshaft, while autos came with a 6-bolt the cast.

There were no cast iron blocks put into these cars to my knowledge.
    The only thing aluminum on the 03's, was the heads and the front cover for the timing chains. Hate to disappoint you, but a friend of mine has 3, 2 03's and an 04. One Blue, one red, and the 04 is competition orange.

Gold Award 
    No ALL of the Mach's came with an aluminum block, both the 03 and 04 years. Andrew was correct in what he said. Also all of the Mach's came with the special R in the vin. There where no factory installed iron blocks in either the 03 or 04 Machs.

There where very few differences in the 03 and 04. One being emissions like Andrew said, the 04's sported the 40th anniversary badge, 04's had bare valve covers 03's where painted black, and 03's have a net up in the ceiling that 04's didn't have.
    Arizona's Fastest Mach 1
    11.14 @ 120 w/ 1.48 60'

GO-FAST MODS
    Magnaflow O/R X-Pipe
    Magnaflow Catback
    Steeda CAI
    Torch Red JLt Intake Tube
    Steeda Tri-Ax
    Spec Stage 3 Clutch
    Built 31 Spline Rear w/ 4.10's
    Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms
    NX Wet Kit (100 Shot)
    SCT Chip
    Custom Tune by PSR

Silver Award 
    Yep. I've got an aluminum block and I know it's the stocker. I promise ya they were all stock aluminum blocks...
    ~Andrew

are you sure that it was not the rare mustang GTR? I saw it in a video

YouTube - MUSTANG GTR

this one is not much better...

YouTube - MUSTANG GTR

Platinum Award 
    Thats hilarious !! "Turbo Rotary with Pistons,and ALL-That" !!