Thread: Went and took some pictures.....

Went and took some pictures.....

I went down to place called the Waterfront. This is were the old USS mill stood. The big tower in the first two pictures is the old water tower the mill used and the building is the old pump house. Also were the pump house stands, along the bank of the Monongahela River below the Pump House of the Homestead mill of the Carnegie Steel works, just after dawn on July 6, 1892 a battle erupted when locked-out Homestead steelworkers and community supporters broke into the closed and fortified mill ?Fort Frick? and met 300 Pinkerton agents armed with repeating rifles attempting to land at the Pumphouse. When the Pinkertons surrendered in the early evening, seven workers and three ?detectives? lay dead. Nearly all the hired guns were wounded and humiliated in a gauntlet organized by women, children and townspeople.

This event was the culmination of failed contract bargaining between the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers led by Hugh O?Donnell and Homestead Burgess John McLuckie, and Carnegie Steel led by Henry Clay Frick while Andrew Carnegie vacationed at his castle in Scotland. At unionized Homestead, workers had high wages tied to productivity, an average ten hour-six day week, a voice in hiring and technology implementation, and organized representation. With the union broken through the intervention of the Pennsylvania militia, the next 45 years brought drastically lower wages, the twelve hour-seven day week, ethnic and racial division, and a denial of civil liberties in both the mill and the town. In 1937, Committee of Industrial Organizations? president John L. Lewis and U.S. Steel president Myron Taylor signed an agreement recognizing the Steel Workers Organizing Committee as the workers? legal representative.

The Battle of Homestead is the most famous event in American labor history and one of its most significant. It marked a watershed in U.S. labor relations and casts a deep shadow to this day. May this site invite reflection and inspire debate over the condition and rights of working people here and around the world.
    Battle of Homestead Foundation - Pennsylvania Labor History Society

And for Jeff, Because you miss Pittsburgh soooo much, here is a nice sunset around 80 degrees....
    PJ
    2003 Mineral Grey Cobra

Nice Pics.
    You should have stopped by sandcastle waterpark and got us some bikini shots .LOL
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire
    Nice Pics.
    You should have stopped by sandcastle waterpark and got us some bikini shots .LOL
    On my next go around.......I took thoses when I droped my wife off at work. I don't think she would like that very much if I took here down there to take some pictures of other women......
    PJ
    2003 Mineral Grey Cobra

Here are two of the pictures posted above with some slight changes......I got board........

PJ
    2003 Mineral Grey Cobra

Nice shots. And an ultra nice car!

Platinum Award 
    Awesome pics, American Muscle, American Steel oh yes I'm from Penns Woods too, Latrobe to be in the Home town Just Off Rt 30. Just came back from a visit and went to the Vintage Grand Prix at Schenley Park

Them Chromies makes the paint job stand out big time!

Clean ride