Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mustang Cobra--How to covert and ABS Sensor into a Speedometer Sensor

Ok did you cut the wires from the ABS sensor or did you just tap into them? If you still have the wires going to the ABS module it may not work as that method is not what I used. Also make sure you are hooked into the speedo harness correctly.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Did you get that speedo figured out?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    Did you get that speedo figured out?
    heck no :(
    you dont think it needs to be changed in the tune in order for it to pick it up do you?

i was thinking it should pick it up without changing anything, and then adjust it in the tune.
    TT 99 cobra

Quote Originally Posted by no_slow_svt View Post
    heck no :(
    you dont think it needs to be changed in the tune in order for it to pick it up do you?

i was thinking it should pick it up without changing anything, and then adjust it in the tune.
    If the connection is working it should see a signal just not the correct speed. Can you hook the ABS back up to the sensor to verify the sensor is working or check it with a volt meter. It toggles ground. Are the wires on the speedo harness the same color as my 03/04? Do you have a wiring diagram for your car?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    If the connection is working it should see a signal just not the correct speed. Can you hook the ABS back up to the sensor to verify the sensor is working or check it with a volt meter. It toggles ground. Are the wires on the speedo harness the same color as my 03/04? Do you have a wiring diagram for your car?
    im going to hook it back up to the abs tomorrow. (maybe i messed it up when i orginally had both hooked to it,(speedo and abs))
    if the sensor is messed ill try hooking it to the other side, and keep my fingers crossed.

pretty sure the wires were the same color as the 03/04,
    thats one of the first things i did after the 5 speed broke, so i dont remember for sure
    TT 99 cobra

i pulled my trans back down to get the converter tweaked, so im looking into getting my speedo going again.(i gave up on it last year)

I now have the Gm style parts being shipped to me also,

burn, do you remember is your gy/rd wire was hooked to others in the harness?

the wires i had hooked up were the green/white for positive and the gray/red for negitive.
    TT 99 cobra

yeah, it looks like the gray/red is the ground for the rear 02's and the speed sensor,

my Haynes book says gry\blk and pnk\org for the vehical speed sensor.

thinking back, i only had to redo 4 wires for the whole swap, 2 being the reverse light wires(which the reverse lights work on my car) and the 2 wires for the speed sensor on the tail shaft.
    and those wires were gray/red, and green/white
    TT 99 cobra

Quote Originally Posted by no_slow_svt View Post
    i pulled my trans back down to get the converter tweaked, so im looking into getting my speedo going again.(i gave up on it last year)

I now have the Gm style parts being shipped to me also,

burn, do you remember is your gy/rd wire was hooked to others in the harness?

the wires i had hooked up were the green/white for positive and the gray/red for negitive.
    Sounds like you have it right.

Connect the (OSS) DG/WH + to the (ABS) Connector YE/RD +
    Connect the (OSS) GY/RD- to the (ABS) Connector YE/BK -

You hook the two wires on the harness that go to the speedo sensor on the tranny to the two wires on the ABS sensor. Mine works fine, but I am not sure of the ABS method works with a functional ABS system.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

yeah I can care less about the abs....I really just want the speedo to work again