Gold Award 

My turbo experience

Well, after about a month of working things out, (I did a lot of my own custom fabricating since I did not like how some of the parts fit or were positioned) I got the beast dialed in ďfor nowĒ. The Hellion kit is a plug and play kit save for the modifications that I made. i.e. steering cooler placement, fan shroud and sensor modification, vacuum line routing, IAT2 Sensor location, and the many adjustments of the Maximum Motorsports full front suspension. Itís the nicest kit Iíve seen and it actually looks like it belongs there. Itís all Bassani stainless steel piping that has a lifetime warranty. The tuner that Iím using is Jon Lund with SCT software. Initially, I had some stalling issues after a bonsai blast or a burnout since the blow off valve redirects the air back into the system (no un-metered air). We adjusted the idle sensor and a few other parameters and now itís a thing of the past. The boost controller is what Iím trying to dial in. I can adjust how fast the turbo spools and how much boost I want to run in a matter of seconds. I think I have got this down as well. My 3.73 gears help me get off the line pretty good (no where near as good as my KB though). I guess itís a good thing since I can actually get traction and hook off the line. Before, I would have to baby it or I would blow off my tires and have to play catch up. So the initial torque hit is no longer there, but once the revs hit 3500, hold on. The only thing I miss about the KB is the immediate torque (itís fun being able to roast the tires when you mash the gas right?). I am messing with my nitrous system to help me get that back though. I am also thinking of going with 2 msd boxes to set up a 2 stage where I can just build boost off the line. Itís not a dog from a dig, itís just not as potent as the twin screw. Like I said, either a 2 step or a shot of dope will cure the initial lag. I still canít decide if itís something negative about the turbo since I donít sit there spinning. But once Iíve spooled in 1st, look out! My rpmís never drop below 4k rpm at wot, so Iím always in boost. The TQ curve never drops off like the KB either, it just keeps you pinned to the seat. I now shift at 7K rpm where I used to shift at 6500 with the KB. And the pull up to 7K is ridiculous and violent. Itís a much smoother feel up until 5K rpm, then it hits you like a bag of bricks. Itís a violent ride up to 7K. I have only experienced 16psi with 15* timing at WOT and I was hazing my tires on the top of 3rd gear. I also have a race tune but I feel itís not needed LOL! I love driving around on pump gas and getting 300 miles to the tank (yes, I am now averaging 26 mpg with the ac blasting). I will say this, the car right now at 16psi feels like my KB at 18psi plus a 75 shot. Itís that much stronger and I love it. Would I do it over again? You bet your ass. Joy rides coming soon, I promise. My family and new job have been taking up most of my time lately, thatís why I havenít been that active. Gene

Sounds like a Monster.
    I am in line for a joy ride when you start selling tickets.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Gold Award 
    hell yeah. get some pics up ( i like looking at pics and drooling) =)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucafu1 View Post
    hell yeah. get some pics up ( i like looking at pics and drooling) =)
    There is a few in the gallery, but we need more.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Gold Award 
    when it cools off, I would like to get some video footage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    when it cools off, I would like to get some video footage as well.
    Only a few months away.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Sounds great! Glad that you are pleased.

I am also looking forward to seeing some more pics and a vid or two. When I come out to visit Jeff this winter I want a ride as well!
    Mark
    Steel City Terminators
    '04 Black Cobra
    663RWHP / 665RWTQ

Thanks for sharing - it's interesting reading your impressions between the turbo and the mighty KB.

Nice work, I"ll be watching for vid and pics.
    96 GT Modular Bastard
    Livernois Forged Stroker, TKO conversion, Wet/Dry Nitrous,
    Powerheads Stage 2 Ported PI Headswap & cams.
    MM suspension, 3-link and all that
    67 Fastback 351C, Ground up chassis, coilover susp w/ Cobra IRS - in progress...