Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEATING QUESTION: Thermostat

HEATING QUESTION: Thermostat

Put in a 160, put in a 195...don't run a thermostat, drill a hole in a 180...well I am doing some maintenance on my hp motor and while I am there I am replacing a leaking thermostat housing. The car has been running pretty well, but anything past 105 degrees outside I usually have to park it or stop a few times on the way to where I am going.

Has anyone ever used this thermostat? Coolsafe 160. If it breaks...it breaks open...lifetime guarenttee etc...

Any thoughts? Any success with other products?

http://www.crucialracing.com/products/coolsafe.php

Thermo

Finally a thread i have knowledge about.

Kenny, I have done the same on my car. it is a lot different still because u are running a supercharger. I have tried almost every thermo as well and thought it was my radiator at first got it re maned but turned out thats was not it. fan was doing an ok job but the issue was still apparent when driving at 80 MpH and that should not be occuring. I used a 195 (starting) went down to a 160 then a 185 and now i am running a 180 with 6, 1/2cm, holes and after the motor rebuild she is doing ok. In my case i heavily believe it was a slo water pump as it was the origonal. What kind of water pump do u have and whats the flow on it? (tehe) at 105* outside i 2 have to pull over and run the heater on high. Next thing going in will be an aluminum raditor. Got any extra of those?

This is the Thermo i am using and has been the best i have tried yet. Mr.gasket wasnt the greatest. WHen i put it is a smear a thin layer of red sealant on the disk.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EMP-301/

P.s. sorry if this didnt help.
    Last edited by Mr. Austin; 07-26-09 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Putting in an add.

Not that it didn't help, it'll help others by talking about it. But I have a pro-street hp water pump so that won't be it, my fan could be bigger...but it starts withthe thermostat. BTW yes...your issue is you need an aluminum tank. :) Your fan should cover at least 75% of your raditor if it doesn't you need two electric (side by side) fans.

Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown66 View Post
    Not that it didn't help, it'll help others by talking about it. But I have a pro-street hp water pump so that won't be it, my fan could be bigger...but it starts withthe thermostat. BTW yes...your issue is you need an aluminum tank. :) Your fan should cover at least 75% of your raditor if it doesn't you need two electric (side by side) fans.

Thanks though.
    Do you have an electric fan or a mechanical fan. With a mechanical fan you must have a fan shroud and proper fan depth for questionable cooling systems.
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Platinum Award 
    had a blown 289 in my shop a few years back, kind of the same issue. tried different thermostats with no good results.

threw in a fluidyne radiator (forget how many cores, but a good 3.5-4" thick) and 2 electric fans to come on around 175 and it worked great.
    2005 v6 redfire mustang. yup its slow.
    12.03 @ 118.5 best et
    12.11 @ 122.0 best mph

Sorry i just could relate so i thought if anything i can tell u what i did. And like i said you have a whole different kind of car but the issue may have related. My fan covers just almost everything but the corners. Obviously.. Since u know better than i do kenny; should i put my origonal shroud over my fan just to direct the air more?

Wild Bill...yeah electric 2800, with a Griffin Aluminum radiator. So what theromostat if any do you suggest?

My heating problems aren't horrible, if it's under 105 out I can sit an idle all day without a problem. I am just trying to make a 12 month car. ;)

Austin don't apologize what you said was perfect (and yes btw you need to have a shroud...without a shroud you might as well take the fan off and blow through the front with your mouth). ;) When did you take it off? If you do have heating problems...that's your next investment...aluminum raditor and electric fan. You'll love life.

yeah it is my next investment. Well the fan has its own "sort" of shroud it is wrapped. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-ZFU16S/
    Last edited by Mr. Austin; 07-27-09 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown66 View Post
    Wild Bill...yeah electric 2800, with a Griffin Aluminum radiator. So what theromostat if any do you suggest?

My heating problems aren't horrible, if it's under 105 out I can sit an idle all day without a problem. I am just trying to make a 12 month car. ;)

Well...........with an electric 2800 and a large Griffin radiator and you've tried several stats, I'd honestly look at your water pump AND it's pulley.
    If you install a 160* stat and it's fine at idle, then when you drive the car it overheats, there are just a few area your problem can be.
    1. Not enough airflow
    Do you have anything in front of the radiator? AC condenser, tranny cooler
    2. Wrong rotation water pump
    Serpentine belt water pump on a v-belt system or visa-versa
    3. TOO MUCH antifreeze
    Antifreeze is a poor conductor. Too much in the summer can cause over heating.........sounds silly huh?
    4. Just not enough cooling system capacity for the given load.
    Naturally a higher HP engine will create more heat.
    5. Improper timing
    Too little or too much timing can increase the heat in an engine

Other possibility is that you have some air in the system..........I'm grasping.
    I've never heard anything bad about the stat that you posted.
    How big is your Griffin?
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Might check with Reische Performance. He just came out with a 170 stat for the Cobras thats amazing

http://reischeperformance.com/
    04 Screaming Yellow Cobra 463rwhp/456tq
    74 Bronco 302/C4