Thread: Electrical Issue

Hybrid View

Silver Award 

Electrical Issue

Cant figure this out. On the 72 Mach, I have been dealing with the alternator light coming on constantly. Its weird, when I'm accelerating the light comes on, when I get below 30 mph and coasting the light goes off, same pattern all the time. It doesn't appear to be messing with anything and always seems to start, although at night with headlights on Ive really limited driving in the night since I don't want to break down and need a tow truck.

So far Ive replace the Battery Terminal ends with brass fittings, cables seem to be fine so I didn't replace them.
    Ive replaced the alternator.
    Ive replaced the Voltage Regulator today.
    Just bought a new battery last night.

None of these things resolved my issue.

So I go to autozone tonight to have them run the electrical test. The guy tells me it looks like its my Voltage Regulator. This just cant be. I replaced with a new voltage regulator hoping it was the old one causing the problem.

I realize this could be just an idiot light having an issue, but since the Auto-Zone guy says its my regulator I wanted to see if any of you have any idea whats up.
    Ive gotta get this sorted out because I cant trust taking this car far if I gotta be concerned with the charging system, if that's what the issue is.

Anyone willing to take a swing at this?

Silver Award 
    Have you checked to ensure that you've got good grounds that are touching clean bare metal?
    ~Andrew

as he said I would start simple and check, or even better yet upgrade the grounds just to be sure that it is not a problem. You can chase a bad ground around for weeks........

Silver Award 
    This is where I feel stupid, if you can believe it, it came down to a stupid plugin on the back of the alternator. Took me 3 days to figure it out and about 200 bucks worth of unnecessary stuff. Oh well at least its new.

Guess I wont open an auto shop anytime soon huh?

always start simple.