Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GEARS: 4.10's impressions

Gold Award 
    my car has 3.90's in it, and they are even freshly installed. but i only have like 20 miles on the car....so not enough time to add good feedback yet, but i will more than likely be putting a few miles on it here fairly quickly.

Tuned By PSR TUNING
    11.07 @ 127.93
    My Autolog Profile

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakelate View Post
    I think you are going to hear a little whine with any taller (numerically) gear. The stock 3:55's in my car make a little noise even.

I was seriously considering 3.90's over 4.10's because I do so much high speed driving. But, besides giving up a little at the dragstrip, I've heard so much bad mojo about non-Ford Racing gear sets from both the installers and owners (though finding an actual owner of that ratio is pretty rare).

How has you're experience been? What was it that swayed you one way or the other?

i wanted 3.90s because its the best gear for my car. I can still trap at 130 on a 26" tall tire and not have to over rev the engine. I was thinking about 3.73s but it woulndt have been worth it comming from 3.55s. 4.10s would have been good but thats to much gear on for the top end IMO. if my IRS was stock agian I would goe with 3.90s agian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucafu1 View Post
    i wanted 3.90s because its the best gear for my car. I can still trap at 130 on a 26" tall tire and not have to over rev the engine. I was thinking about 3.73s but it woulndt have been worth it comming from 3.55s. 4.10s would have been good but thats to much gear on for the top end IMO. if my IRS was stock agian I would goe with 3.90s agian.
    Are you running level 5 half shafts or stock?
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Unless Brakelate is thinking of never hitting the track (so far he hasnt), 3.90's might be the gear's for his HP level.

4.10's @ 2710' is perfect...go through the ET lights around 6200rpms...Sea Level, the motor with the eaton will be screaming!!!

Jay...you can power shift 5th and she still pulls , but do the 3.90's

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    Are you running level 5 half shafts or stock?

H&R Sport Springs

MM Sub Frame Connectors

14mm IRS Bolts

Billet Flow Differential Brace

Complete IRS Bushing Set

DSS Level 5 Halfshafts

00R Cobra Shocks

Motive 3.90 gears

BF IRS Brackets

Last edited by Lucafu1; 09-09-06 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P Machy View Post
    Unless Brakelate is thinking of never hitting the track (so far he hasnt), 3.90's might be the gear's for his HP level.

I just don't see the point in hazing my clutch. I wanna jump in there with some solid passes, so I'm waiting until I get a few more goodies.

Besides, I can beat up on you anytime.

So, the 4.10's and a Steeda Diff cover brace went on two days ago.

Phocking thing vibrates so bad from 70-83 mph that I can't even tell what I'm looking at in the rear view mirror. That's right in my freeway cruise speed range, so it's frustrating. Before everyone starts blaming the installer, it seems that the two or three other locals running 4:10s have the same issue, right at the same speed.

At present, I'm regretting not going with the 3.90's. At least that would have reduced the vibe, or at the very least moved it up to over 85.

Hoping that in another two weeks I'll be holding a time slip with some nice numbers that will wash away the current frustration.

On the other hand, if I drove at legal speeds (almost impossible out here on desert highways) I wouldn't have a complaint in the world.

*Question: Does everyone with aftermarket gearsets leave the big weight on the front of the diff? Most appear to have been removed by the shop installing the gears, as it was "tuned" to remove vibes with the 3:55's. Mine is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by P Machy View Post
    I do not see any future HP mods into this car, then what I already have.

SlowOne....my stock CAR with NO MODS in it Vibrated at 80mph. Took the weight balancer off and no change in vibrations in RPM's.

Also, shorter Gears will pronounce any unsuspecting vibrations that was not there before or noticeable due to the increase in RPM.

BTW: U cheating BASTIG!!! I didnt know you had them Gears, but It didnt seem like

Just get a TUNE!

Gold Award 
    did you get a tune to fix your MPH? its off if you didnt. I never removed to weight so im not sure if it will help in your situation. no vibs here